Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Ryan Allen
 Post subject: Glass Panels
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:24 am 

I know I have brought the "going glass" topic up before but I was wondering...has anyone made the switch from steam to glass in their Thorp? How about some pics if you have? I see all these RV's with all glass and it got me wondering if any Thorp drivers have done it. Frase, have you made any plans for your panel yet? I'm really curious about how much labor/complexity is involved with installing a glass panel.

Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album  

Fraser MacPhee
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:58 pm 

No plans yet - merely visions, but as of this point, and given the timing, the visions are pointing to mostly glass and not as expensive as I had originally thought.

Serial #279-1
Angel Fire, NM (KAXX)

Last edited by admin on Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album  

david read
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:08 pm 

Not the best picture but here is the panel in N718DR using the MGL Enigma. The empty holder on the right is for the sirius sattelite reciever.

Image Insert:

Put File Caption Here

Last edited by admin on Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fraser MacPhee
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:24 pm 

Thrilled I am - both of you gave me some good copycat ideas - Bill - I really like what you did and I like that you planned a place to put the headset battery pack.
David - I can't believe I didn't notice where your throttle bracket was before - how do like that Eigma? - there is a velocity out here with dual Enigmas in it, but it has not flown yet.

Serial #279-1
Angel Fire, NM (KAXX)

Last edited by admin on Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album  

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:44 pm 

Daivd
I hadnt even considered the Enigma. Thanks for the pic.
Ryan

Last edited by admin on Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album  

david read
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:31 pm 

I have been quite pleased with the enigma. As an early adopter I have had some problems but they have always been very good to work with. It has all flight and engine instruments and gps in one package, plus maintains it's own battery backup. An iPad attached by Velcro fits nicely in the remaining empty spot. I have just started using the fore flight program to replace my sectionals. It is early but I believe I like it as well. You can check my setup in person in a few days at Ky dam. See you there. David

Last edited by admin on Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dan
 Post subject: Re: Glass Panels
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:31 pm 

Well Rich, the wife done it, she got me an I pod 2 for Christmas!!! Will be getting the Wing x stuff before long. After trying to find room on my panel, I figured out I don't have any room. The onl place I could put it and keep it in front of me was under the panel, just above my knees. I have built a slider that goes just under the panel, and it slides out and puts the pad right in my lap, when finished,it just slides back under the panel. The slider has Teflon lined runners, with adjustable tension, so the tray stays where you put it, and it glides very smooth. This thing kinda puts a knee board to shame, when you need it you just pull it out and Viola!! When your finished, just push it back under the panel and if you didn't know what you were looking for you probably wouldn't see it. I didn't know where to put this posting and I hope I got it right. I will post some pics of this thing before I install it, and then again after install. I have spent 3 days in the garage building this trinket and from what I can see from the fitting on the panel today the darn thing is going to be very handy. Dan

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:19 pm 

Well...slide out tray ? Sounds like my AirBus "tray !" Slide it out when you want to study or eat ! Then slide it back in for landing ! :o We need pics and a write up for the I Pad Gizmo ! Sounds very interesting ! We need all the space management we can use in the Thorp ! ;)

RB

Profile Personal album  

dickwolff
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:53 am 

Watch your stick clearance. I had to cut metal off of mine when I added the teak grips.

Profile Personal album  

leewwalton
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:10 am 
Administrator
Administrator

I've had good luck with the Ram Mount system. I typically do not use the ipad for local flying so most of the time there's just a ball on my panel (see pic #2), however when flying x-country I find I like to have the screen accessible and viewable at all times. In the pic below the unit is situated "landscape" but can be turned 90 deg to put it well clear of the passenger. In my case the only issue is a partial blocking of the breakers when rotated up, so when alone I typically have it as shown.

Having one of these in the airplane has been a real asset. Can't tell you how much stress it relieves knowing you have a full set of current approach plates on board at all times!

Attachments:
RAM_MOUNT.jpg
RAM_MOUNT.jpg [ 760.61 KiB | Viewed 13463 times ]
RAM_MOUNT2.jpg
RAM_MOUNT2.jpg [ 523.66 KiB | Viewed 13463 times ]

KEFD
 Profile Personal album  

dan
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:22 pm 

lee, which app are you using on the Pad? Anyone else out there using the Pad 2 and which app do you have? tryin to get some reviews,,,,,,,,Dan

N89BJ
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:04 am 
Foreflight here :)

SHIPCHIEF
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:40 am 

Foreflight here as well.
Something to consider: You get two downloads for one price with Foreflight, One for your iPad, and one for your iPhone.
My flying wife has the iPad, and I have the iPhone. I just have a smaller screen. But she uses it more.
This revolutionized flying. I was all set to upgrade the avionics in my Bellanca Cruisemaster, but not now. Foreflight on iPad (or iPhone) offers so much, that a NAV/COM plus Transponder is all you need. Of course, you can't use the Foreflight for more than an electronic flight bag (which means you can use it legally for all charts and plates). I guess the part where you see a blue airplane on the chart or plate, depicting you actual location is for 'situational awareness only'. If you plan IFR DME ARNAV approaches requiring special equipment....you are supposed to have that equipment.
You have quite an arsenal of tools if you have any kind of pictorial GPS, Foreflight on an iPad2, and a NAV/COM.
We set up the GPS for the flight destination, and use the iPad to explore possibilities enroute, like fuel prices, weather or fuel stops, hotel availability, terminal & enroute weather, airport diagrams, heck, I don't know all it can do, but it just amazes me.

leewwalton
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:40 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Foreflight here as well.

Dan, I recommend you download all of the contenders, fore flight, wing-x and garmin my cast. They all have a 30 day free trial. I think you'll find that fore flight continues to remain well ahead of the other two. Now that fore flight has an xm weather interface they covered the one and only weak spot. I've talked to the developers (they're based here in Houston) and they're really not slowing down on enhancements the app just keeps getting better and better.

KEFD

Profile Personal album