Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Doug S
 Post subject: Re: Glass Panels
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:50 am 

WingX for me - but as Lee said try 'em all & then pick. Of course this means you have to do some more flying to get the real world experience. :)

dan
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:51 pm 

Thanks all for the responce, I have been looking at all of the before mentioned, I will look a little closer at the fore flight,I have been studying wing x.All of these apps are nothing short of amazing, what's new today will be outdated tomarrow and I always seem to be behind the 8 ball. Rich, I will be installing my slider for this pad in a couple weeks as the install will require panel removal. Will get some pics before install and after, thanks again all......Dan

david read
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:28 pm 

I have been using fore flight for about a year and a half now and recommend it. It is nice to let it keep track of where you are right on a sectional chart.

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:36 pm 

We had a "slider" tray on the AirBus, but we used it to eat First Class Meals ! ::) Of course it was stowed for take offs and landings ! :-X i USE THE i fLY 700 GPS. Great little unit. Touch Screen and $69.00 a year gets you unlimited chart updates as well as unlimited soft ware updates. $549.00. BADA BING, BADA BOOM !. As Dan said whatever you get, as soon as it arrives in the mail it is out of date ! :'( Good thing I still have some "Steam Gauges" to fall back on !

RB

Profile Personal album  

dan
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:14 pm 

My lowrance 2000c is about as outdated as you can get, but the darn thing has spoiled me it still does the job very well. I did find some support for it to get it updated, so I will use it along with the pad2.I got the front of the slider coated Rich, well, there is not much to see from the front but it is hammer finished like the panel. I took some pics the other night and will try to download, it was in the raw.I have added the power supply to the back of it so the pad can be plugged into the AC elec system. Dan

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:37 pm 

I have the IFly 700 GPS, but I STILL carry a back up paper chart ! Yes it may be outdated, but the mountains and landmarks do not change ! :P Should you loose power or a GPS lock in FAA airspace...OH MY ! Good thing I still have my slide rule and 1974 E6-B ! :o

RB

Profile Personal album  

SHIPCHIEF
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:49 pm 

I hear you Rich.
I still like to play with the ADF and use the E6-B.
I bought a Chartbook thinking it would be easier to use sectionals in a wire wound binder, but alas, more convinient it is not!
It is handy, but flying off one page to the next is not as easy as I thought it would be....so the dog eared sectional still has value.

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:05 pm 

I keep the "chart book" as a back up, just in case the GPS with my Electronic (up to date) charts goes FUBAR ! For an out of area flight I put Post its on the pages I need. "Always leave yourself an Out !"

RB

Profile Personal album  

James Grahn
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:22 pm 

All you iPad guys give me some advice. I already cnx my air charts subscription to go iPad route. I was planning forflight. Now which iPad is best? What memory size? Does it need to be 3G? Gimme some poop.

Profile Personal album  

N89BJ
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:40 pm 
It needs to be 3G if you want to view current weather information while you are flying. Apple has made it quite nice for us cheapies. You are not locked into the monthly fee (either $15 or $25 per month). You can change, cancel, or resubscribe at any time. I have the Ipad2 with 32GB, but I think you could get by with the 16GB. You will really like it!

Another thing to make note of is that the FAA is working toward charging more for digital charts. This means that companies like ForeFlight will have to charge more per year in the future. I have decided it won't stop me from using their service however.

david read
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:06 pm 

The thing to remember is if you get a wireless only iPad it does not have the internal gps, only the 3G models do. Some say the internal gps is not as accurate enough but in my experience it has been completely satisfactory. Also you do not have to have the cellular service turned on for the gps to function. You cannot rely on the cellular signal to get the weather reliably, especially when I really wanted it, but maybe one of these days I will invest in the XM receiver for it.

dan
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:10 pm 

Hi Jimmy, when master of electronics Mr. Dean Cuke joined the fold, I had the same questions for him. He directed me to a 3G 16gig, I won't use this thing for anything else but wing x. This is all I will run on it and I don't plan on in flight movies and such so the 16G has more memory than I need. If you plan to do other things or use other apps you might want the 32 or 64 Gig, and of coarse you will want it to be 3G. When I put this thing in the plane that's where it will stay, may remove it for up dates or something . It is an amazing little tool, with a whole bunch of amazing apps for aviation, just take your pick with whatever you are comfortable with. Go onto U Tube, there is a bunch of apps being used..Dan

Fla-T18
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:50 pm 

Just wanted to share some of the iPad stuff, you all may have seen them already.. Check out ihud, levil, and skyradar.... These are what I plan to use along with wingxpro

stug
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:24 pm 

I am a long way off putting a panel together but I drafted up this up as I was working out how to spend all that cash I am yet to earn. It it will be interesting to see how this new iEFIS panel from MGL will work and how long it will take me to save up for it!
Stuart

Attachments:
508 panel.pdf [59.33 KiB]
Downloaded 458 times
 Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:39 pm 

Your draft for the panel looks great ! :) But as you said it is a way off to being installed. By the time you get around to putting in the electronics the status of the equipment (type and cost) will have changed faster than the evolution of the I Phone ! An EFIS panel is a good thing to have, but a few back up "steam gauges" (altimeter/AS as a minumum) would be on my list ! ;) You still have to plumb in the same pitot static lines for both. :P

RB

Profile Personal album  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next