Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

leewwalton
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:01 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Willie I don't want to disagree with you but "piss poor" may be a bit harsh. That baffle setup is quite efficient, as I said we had the same setup in n51863 and it worked too well, the lower dam contains the cooling air and forces it up and over. At the same time it provides cooling air to the alternator. It may not be as clean as the "ramp" style but it definitely works well. Look at any spam can and you'll see the same setup.

KEFD

Profile Personal album  

Tim Brown
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:03 am 

Hi Bill, I don't understand your comment regarding the dam around the flywheel, post #6 in this thread shows the baffle that runs under the flywheel preventing air spilling through that route, I am not sure what you mean when you say...Without baffles blocking the cylinders,,,

I really want improve the cooling and while I hope removing the lights is a good start am willing to improve elsewhere and am all ears.

Pics of what is lacking on my a/c but should be added would be appreciated :)

Profile Personal album  

Fraser MacPhee
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:21 am 

Tim - look up "Walter", the Jeff Dunham character.....get a three inch diameter "Walter" decal made - I'll pay half......together we'll mount it on the pilot's side of 360WW at OSH next year........Don't tell Bill tho, or I'll probably find a depiction of Alfred E. Newman on my plane....

Profile Personal album  

jrevens
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:45 pm 

It looks like a fine set-up, Tim, and well constructed. Lee is correct... it's very similiar to mine, other than the fact that I use silicone rubber instead of the felt. I can tell you that mine works very well... I have honestly never talked to anyone who has measured cylinder head temperatures that were closer together than mine, and cooling is way more than adequate. I once mounted 4 individual bayonet-style CHT probes & ran the wires into the cockpit through my cabin heat box. I used a highly accurate digital thermometer on the seat next to me... didn't have a fancy engine monitor/analyzer. It was pretty cool... the outside air temp was 40 deg. F. I flew at altitudes ranging between 6500 & 9500 msl and at all attitudes - steep climbs, decents, level, turns. The # 2 cylinder was the hottest, followed closely by #4 (1 to 3 deg. difference). The coolest cylinder was #3. The max. measured temp was 328 deg. F, and the maximum measured between hottest & coldest was 12 deg. (in steep, extended climb). The max. difference in cruise was 8 deg. (7500 msl, 2550 rpm, 20" MP). I've never seen the large differences between left & right sides of the engine that some people report. My oil cooler is mounted on the left side of the front baffle. My cabin heat fresh air inlet is a 2" hole off the right side rear baffle.
Attachment:
Starter.jpg
Starter.jpg [ 162.4 KiB | Viewed 5657 times ]
Attachment:
Starter2.jpg
Starter2.jpg [ 161.3 KiB | Viewed 5657 times ]
Attachment:
Engine2May'00.jpg
Engine2May'00.jpg [ 177.63 KiB | Viewed 5657 times ]
Attachment:
Engine3May'00.jpg
Engine3May'00.jpg [ 170.47 KiB | Viewed 5657 times ]

T-18 N71JE (sold)
Kitfox 7 SS N27JE

Lou
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:03 pm 

Tim:

NICE SHOES! >:D

Profile Personal album  

Tim Brown
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:08 pm 

I guess its time to go flying to see if removing the lights made a difference. I appreciate all the helpful advice and will report back.

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:40 pm 

John: I wish you would clean up that engine compartment ! I see some oil about ready to appear ! :))

RB

Profile Personal album