Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 3:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

SHIPCHIEF
 Post subject: Intercom Re-do
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:43 pm 

'Feisty' had a portable intercom built in between the seats, below the hat shelf. How annoying is that? The tops of the seats are narrow so you can reach back to get items out of the baggage area while in flight, but not with the intercom there! The headset wires and controls are almost un-reachable, just behind and below my shoulder.
So I had scratchy radio syndrome, and decided to remove the intercom to see if that was the problem.
Nope, looks like the Narco Com 810 TSO or it's Molex KK .156 edge connectors or BNC antenna might be the culprit. None the less, I decided to move forward on the intercom front, so, being cheap, I got a David Clark Isocom off Epay. Well, it uses Molex KK .156 card edge connectors too. These were obsoleted in June 2012 and are no longer offered in Mouser etc. so I retained the original wire stubs that came with the Isocom, are 'played on through'. Now the 2-1/4" Isocom is panel mounted and everything is working. I'm taking a lunch break now, before I add the push to talk to the key line on the pilot MIC jack, then stuff an tie 'til done.
Does anyone have some Molex KK edge connectors ?? I did have 2 which I used to finish this job, but with several radios and an intercoms that use these, I suspect I'll need more eventually.

bfinney
 Post subject: Re: Intercom Re-do
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:02 pm 

Scott,
Is the following what you need? http://www.steinair.com/storedetail.cfm?productid=121

N18JF T-18C #262
Yelm, WA USA

Profile Personal album  

SHIPCHIEF
 Post subject: Re: Intercom Re-do
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:36 am 

Thanks Bruce; .75 ea is about twice the mouser price, but availability is a quality all it's own. By the way, Marilyn and I missed you and Diane at the EAA 326 burger burn. We were weathered in @ WN55 and arrived at 3PM.