Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Mon Jul 08, 2024 1:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Fraser MacPhee
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:39 am 

Weather looks good inbound from all quadrants folks - update on parking - there will be space for between 5 and 10 aircraft in the FBO hangar(s) - they want 25 bones per night (a discount from $40) - and they are perdy full. Having said that, the Wx looks hauntingly gorgeous throughout the weekend with little wind and temps low 60s to mid 80s. There is a large concrete pad just east of my hangar that has 12 tie downs (see photo below) - the entrance is off taxiway "Alfalfa" - that will be our primary parking area. There are two or three open tie downs along the ramp in front of chez nous as well. In short, there are enough outside spots if the hangar is not your cuppa tea.

Bring tie down ropes!

Another note - at times, the Army National Guard at the south end of the field can bring out a squadron of egg beaters that will smash the air into roiling sacks of shite. Per the diagram below, many times they will sit on the parallel taxiway and break wind for 10 or more minutes. SHOULD YOU FIND YOURSELF ON FINAL landing to the north with one or more of these wind bags smashing up the proximity air, JUST LAND LONG - we have plenty of runway!!!.....most of the time, the eggbeater pilots know to keep the collective down, but every now and then, some doofus yanks up on the collective while someone is on short final and that can ruin our day. One more time - JUST LAND LONG.....past the eggbeaters, then go over to Alfa and taxi back to the south.

One other thing - check the latest airspace diagrams - we changed last year - note our traffic pattern here is ALWAYS to the west....so the runway is 16R and 34L

Fly safe folks!! - see ya in a few

Attachments:
U42.jpg
U42.jpg [ 128.8 KiB | Viewed 9593 times ]

Serial #279-1
Angel Fire, NM (KAXX)
 Profile Personal album  

Fraser MacPhee
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:20 am 

One more gentle reminder folks - I was assured this morning that the best fuel price will be out of the bowser, so stay away from the self serve. They'll come to that T-18 parking area and fuel you up for the local's discount.

Serial #279-1
Angel Fire, NM (KAXX)

Profile Personal album  

dan
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:37 pm 

Is there any tie down chains Frase?? Dan

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:24 pm 

I request Stage Show Center on the T-18 Ramp ! right next to Shawn D Tucker ! ???

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

Fraser MacPhee
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:28 am 

Bring tie down ropes Dan - there are just loops cast into the concrete.....having said that, we are expecting 15 + or - planes - there are twelve tie down spots with loops - we can put a few off into the grass on that apron and there are a few tie down spots on the ramp adjacent to my hangar row. If everyone brings tie down ropes, we should be golden.

If you think you might arrive O'Dark tardy, then have your claw tie downs with you, or we'll find hangar space and Rich can wear his official Shawn D. Tucker "Snap Roll" thong and pole dance at the trailer park again to raise money for your hangar fees.

Serial #279-1
Angel Fire, NM (KAXX)

Profile Personal album  

Lou
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:46 pm 

I'm not going to make it. :( Maybe next time.

Profile Personal album  

Fraser MacPhee
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:07 pm 

LOOOOOOUUUU!!!!!.....sigh....I'm gutted!!.....now who's gonna drink all that beer...????.....never mind...forget I asked that....Sorry man....was looking forward to seeing you and Renee(S) again.

Serial #279-1
Angel Fire, NM (KAXX)

Profile Personal album  

jrevens
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:09 pm 

I'm planning to depart around 7:30 on Friday. Should get there around 10 to 10:30. Looks like I'm coming alone. Strap on the oxygen, climb to somewhere around 12 to 14k & point the nose in your direction. I'll drink Lou's beer.

T-18 N71JE (sold)
Kitfox 7 SS N27JE

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:20 pm 

John : Your Slot time is for a 1300 arrival ! Contact Salt Lake Approach . You may have to hold over Provo ? ??? Lou ! Who is going to give us a brief on Aluminum welding ! ::)

Profile Personal album  

Lou
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:24 pm 

AH! I’ve got a bucket of hot irons to deal with. Some will be of interest to the gang and I’ll share that soon. So I’ve let my annual slide and I’ve got a few mods to do during that. Also R is putting in 6-10s and then puts in more on our projects so I can’t justify goofing off for a few days. She would be cool with it and I just know that It would never come back on me like ten years from now at like two in the morning.
All that to say I hate to miss hanging with everyone and not being able to support the effort, I know it takes a lot of work to put one of these together.
John I had planned on drinking a lot of beer, just so ya know.

Profile Personal album  

Bill Williams
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:58 am 
John, The GPS is not rated for 14K I guess you received it OK.

jrevens
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:59 am 

Bill Williams wrote:
John, The GPS is not rated for 14K I guess you received it OK.

Hey Bill,
I sent you email days ago... didn't you get it? Check your email. Oh well, this gives me a chance to thank you again, publicly.
Back in early 1991 I bought the first GPS unit made for aircraft by Garmin, a GPS 100. It was the first one in this area that I know of. To make a long story short, it had continued to work flawlessly all these years until recently. Although it's a dinosaur, it's been a nice backup for my 196, & I didn't feel like messing around with my panel right now, so I looked around for another one. I had asked Bill if he knew of anywhere to get another used one, since I knew he had one in his Thorp. He said he had picked up a bunch of them from a shop one time & thought he had one I could have. He immediately packed it up & sent it to me when he got home from the Alabama fly-in. So, again, THANK YOU Bill! I owe you, big time!

T-18 N71JE (sold)
Kitfox 7 SS N27JE

Bill Williams
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:29 pm 
Steak at Hasses LOL

Fraser MacPhee
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:56 pm 

2 T-18s on the ramp....and a Norm's Taxi with pretty co-pilot.....and so it begins....

Serial #279-1
Angel Fire, NM (KAXX)

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:06 pm 

Norm...first stop for the taxi is the 7-11 for Rocky Mountain High ! :o Up in the rare air dries out my innards ! ??? It also gives me the wind something terrible ! ::) BOOM !

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next