Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 9:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Fraser MacPhee
 Post subject: Utah Gathering
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 12:57 pm 

OK, the dates are set for the September coastal mountain gathering - September 10-12th at Heber City, Russ McDonald Field - 36U - this is the weekend before the Reno races, should anyone want to make this gathering an intermitent stop on the way - We will have ample parking area to ourselves next to the Commemorative Air Force hangar - you may bring a tent and camp should you so desire - there are both gender restroom facilities in the CAF hangar, but no showers. In case of inclement WX during our stay, I have ample hangar space arranged with the locals.
I am still working out the local Motel discounts and transpo - give me another week or two to get us the best deal at the best place.
I'll post updates as they occur.
Mark your calenders. This will be a fun wunn.

Serial #279-1
Angel Fire, NM (KAXX)

Last edited by Anonymous on Mon May 10, 2010 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album  

Fraser MacPhee
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:44 pm 

I am getting close to haggling the best deal at a notell motel near the airport - every penny counts - For those who may wish to stay another day or two, there are some sweeto places to visit close to Heber such as Park City, (great shopping) the Winter Olympic Park (where you can take a slightly slower bobsled run or do ski flying aerobatics into the bubble pool - wear a cup, as the water is harder than you think - trust me) and Sundance Resort (Robert Redfords land grab - the actual bar from the "hole in the wall bar" is there at the Owl Bar)- as well there is the Heber Creeper, a historic steam train that takes you around the valley by a lake and down a large canyon (I may be able to work this in during the fly-in for everyone at a discount) - stay tuned.
Some really pretty neat stuff in this area, and of course I guarrantee the weather or my name's not Rich Brazell.

Serial #279-1
Angel Fire, NM (KAXX)

Last edited by admin on Tue May 25, 2010 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album  

Fraser MacPhee
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:01 pm 

I have struck the deal with the Holiday Inn Express in Heber, UT. It's a little different than most motels I have worked with. The best way to do this is make advance reservations online or by calling 1-800-315-2621 for an $81.00 per night rate. Their "block" rate is very restrictive, meaning everyone would have to book 2 nights - no more no less - and get dinged a cancellation fee should Rich Brazell piss off the weather gods - so I did not do a "block" rate. It is the most convenient facility with a convenience store/restaurant on property and only a short distance to the airport. Without using the block rate, should WX become a factor, Karen Fish (Assistant Manager @ 1-435-654-9990) will cancel your room at no charge - she is very nice and easy to work with.
We will have a cupla vehicles for transpo to and from the motel available to us, however should you desire to rent a car, I will have that info shortly after I deal with the on-field FBO on a few other issues that need to be worked out to keep things smooth and seamless.
That's it for now, so go ahead and make your reservations - remember, there is NOT a group rate, or Thorp party to reference. We had 12 T-18s at Gary Green's fantastic gathering - It would boost my fragile ego substantially to see more than that at Heber. Show 'em how the west was won, sotaspeak. Also, please e-mail me off list at p51par5@msn.com after you make your reservations at the motel, so I can start planning the chow.
Toodles for now.

Serial #279-1
Angel Fire, NM (KAXX)

Last edited by admin on Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album  

Fraser MacPhee
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:24 pm 

Spoke with the local Heber FBO owner at "OK3 Air" - yes, an X-Navel F-18 driver - he's looking forward to meeting Rich Brazell - could be they slept in the same bunk .......??????......on top, of course - great guy - offered the "local discount" for the T-18 crowd right off the bat - he has an Extra 300 and gives aerobatic rides, should anyone wish to take him up on that at the gathering. If you want to rent a car to see some local sites, OK3 Air can take care of that for you as well at reasonable rates.

2 months to the gathering - have you made your hotel reservations yet?......see post above for info. 6 commits so far.

Serial #279-1
Angel Fire, NM (KAXX)

Last edited by admin on Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:23 pm 

Only the Scotts sleep double in a single ! [:0] Navy pilots only hot rack it. [;)]

Sleepless in Jamul [|)]

RB

Last edited by admin on Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album  

Fraser MacPhee
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:53 am 

It's 8 weeks to the Utah gathering in Heber City - a gentle reminder on booking the motel - there is NOT a "BLOCK OF ROOMS" of rooms - if you try to reserve a "BLOCK" of rooms, they get very restrictive, and should the WX take a dump, the "BLOCK" restrictions are such that you cannot cancel your room without charge.
So.....the best way to do it is to book online or call the reservation number at 1-888-465-4329 for the Holiday Inn Express in Heber, UT and book the dates for Friday, September 10, and Saturday, Sept 11.

If you need to cancel, you can call Karen at the Holiday Inn Express in Heber at 1-435-654-9990 and cancel the room at no charge.

I'm envious of you all meeting at Oshkosh - I will be there next year and will be dreaming of it.......dry, of course.

Serial #279-1
Angel Fire, NM (KAXX)

Last edited by admin on Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album  

Eddie Eiland
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:46 pm 

Is anyone flying from or thru Texas on the way to Utah for the T18 gathering? I'm considering making the trip but I don't know that I want to fly 1,000 miles alone. I've made a number of long trips with others in loose formation and found it enjoyable.

I agree with Lee that it is likely a number of things are together making the empty weight a little high. My airplane has an old Twin Comanche IO 320, hollow shaft, geared started, small alternator, wood prop, 1 modern nav/com/transponder, long landing gear and weighs 931#

Eddie N29EE

Last edited by admin on Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fraser MacPhee
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:16 pm 

Yes you do Eddie - The scenery alone will make the trip worthwhile.

Lee - MLMIP (Mid Life Mistress In Pieces) arrives in 2.5 hours - perhaps you should fly up here and get the spinner. Bring Fajitas......

Serial #279-1
Angel Fire, NM (KAXX)

Last edited by admin on Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album  

leewwalton
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:37 am 
Administrator
Administrator

I hear ya Frase ... not going to be able to make the trek out there this time ... hang on to that spinner, the next time you see me I'll have Fajitas in hand.

How's the airplane look? ... now that my project is "complete" it's on your shoulders to give us the play by play on MLMIP.

KEFD

Last edited by admin on Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album  

Fraser MacPhee
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:37 am 

Lee - I may not need the T-18 Spinner - the project came with one, as well as the commanche spinner with front and back plates - no plates for the T-18 spinner tho - let me make sure the T-18 spinner will work with the cowl the way it is set up - the project looks OK, but I went to bed last night a little overwhelmed and thinking three years instead of 12 to 18 months. The thought of not flying for three years kinda makes me think I know how a eunuch must feel.
It definitley needs a bath - cobwebs everywhere.

Serial #279-1
Angel Fire, NM (KAXX)

Last edited by admin on Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album  

leewwalton
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:54 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Take a deep breath Frase ... it's not as bad as you think.

First clean it up one piece at a time and eliminate things that are "done", That helps reduce the perceived enormity of the project. It looks to me like you can eliminate the wing and tail from your list of things to do (besides paint). Then you're just down to the fuselage, engine, cowl, plumbing, electrical system (looks like you need a new exhaust too). That can be done in a year, fear not!

It's a marathon not a race ... slow and easy gets the ribbon but from the pics I've seen of that airplane you've got some work to do but it all looks like "fun" work. I'll start shipping Fajitas to you weekly if you post your progress (key word is progress!) on the Forum!

FYI I can supply a CS back plate for you when the time comes.

KEFD

Last edited by admin on Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album  

Fraser MacPhee
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:39 am 

Right on Lee - thanks for the werds of encouragment - I'm tenting it this weekend with fam, friends and adult beverages - will start early next week making lists and prioritizing - I'll check the spinner then, but am pretty sure it's yours - if you need it poste haste, I'll get it in the mail by wednesday and we can work out the Marguerita/Fajita details later.

Serial #279-1
Angel Fire, NM (KAXX)

Last edited by admin on Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album  

leewwalton
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:16 am 
Administrator
Administrator

No rush Frase .. I have a loaner on there now.

Looking forward to seeing the new girl evolve.

KEFD

Last edited by admin on Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:27 pm 

Let's see pics of the new girl ! [:p] You can dress her up later. [;)] If I were you, I would put up a donation box at this family/friends gathering...might pick up a few Susan B's ! [:)]

Last edited by admin on Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album  

Fraser MacPhee
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:38 pm 

Showing her now would be like posting a picture of a 5 second old infant, or Edith Effenhorse, a long since, but never totally forgotten romantic rare find at Turkey Point Provincial Park that lasted until the alcohol wore off - I'll show you when she's worthy of a cosmo photoshoot, and then you can watch her progress to a centerfold.

Serial #279-1
Angel Fire, NM (KAXX)

Last edited by admin on Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album