Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 5:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Rich Brazell
 Post subject: Utah Gathering
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:23 pm 

Just funnin with ya ! Keep her behind the curtain until OZ works his magic ! [:X]

Last edited by admin on Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album  

Fraser MacPhee
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:33 pm 

One week until the Heber folks - the weather loos to be good - was up there today farting around in the Stearman and pulling weeds - the trees are showing signs of changing so the colors should be starting to get pretty good. One again, we will have the Commemorative Air Force hangar to ourselves that weekend - south west sid of the field - the last of the big hangars - cannot miss it - have you made your Hotel reservations - see previous post for info - there is a cafe next to the Motel - you are on your own for breakfast - I will have lunch fixins as well as burgers and chicken boobs for dinner - might be a magic fridge with adult barley sodas when the flyins dun.

As far as approaches go, it is fairly straight forward - cross over the field and enter a left down wind for runway 21 - which will more than likely be the runway (monitor 122.8 inbound for verification - there is an AWOS - look it up - you're a pilot) Do not look for Mid Life Mistress - she is cheating on me and won't be there and i'm not hauling all 103 pieces of my new T-18 project up there....:)

Please give me a final count off list so I can plan for the burgers, chicken boobs, pickled anchovies and adult beverages/sodas.....

Serial #279-1
Angel Fire, NM (KAXX)

Last edited by admin on Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album  

admin
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:52 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

joe out of great falls will be there

*** admin posted for Joe Wengerd ***

Last edited by admin on Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fraser MacPhee
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:49 pm 

Last call - WX forecasted to be perfect for impressive climb rates - clear as a steer and chilly as a kilted willy - and unlike me, windless - might consider breaking out your Mr. Roger's cardigan and packing it for the trip - tailwinds to all - see ya here friday.
Dan and Ira - don't forget - yer gonna land a little quickety up here at 5K+ MSL - no worries - lotsa runway tootsies - Tiger Woods and MJ plop their G4 winged harem tubes in here - trust your ASI. Enjoy your trip across NV - it's beautifull.

Fly safe everyone

Serial #279-1
Angel Fire, NM (KAXX)

Last edited by admin on Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album  

fulcrumflyer
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:42 pm 

Thanks to Fraser for hosting this event. Although the turnout was small, the venue and company were excellent. For those west coasters that were unable to make it, the weather and scenery were absolutely perfect. You missed out on an outstanding late summer flying opportunity. Special thanks to the Commemorative Air Force for letting us use their hangar to gather at.

Last edited by admin on Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album  

jrevens
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:24 pm 

It was great to get to another Thorp flyin this year! Thanks, Frase, for your effort. Weather and company were perfect! Don't feel too bad about the small turnout... I'm not sure, but I don't think that most of those California guys ever leave the state - it's some kind of weird natural tendency ;). I think there were 7 of our Thorps there.

John Evens
N71JE - Arvada, CO

T-18 N71JE (sold)
Kitfox 7 SS N27JE

Last edited by admin on Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fraser MacPhee
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:49 pm 

Spanky beat me to it - outstanding weather - Present were:
Cubes and Spanky from Vegas
Bob Clayton from Bountifull, UT
Paul and Gail McMicheal from Seattle, WA
John Wengerd from all over the US
Tony Cochran and his son Colby from Denver
John Evens from Denver
Special appearance from Ray and Connie who got up at 2AM friday morning to make the drive from Mesa Verde, AZ. They are special people.

The Commemorative Air Force provided us with restrooms, place to park, hangar space, a beer fridge and lot's of stuff to look at and admire. Many kudos to Richard meyer, Wing Commandr for his help.
Spanky landed and tinkled in state number 49, with only South Dakota left on the list.
Joe learned how to land like me.
Spanky and Joe allowed me some stick time, satisfying my envious urges for another few days.
Cubes learned that it takes at least 2 red stripes to get my wife to go flying with him.
John learned how to fly X-country without his pants on.
Tony learned that when ever he launches, its best to leave a toothbrush and a pair of gawtchies in the hangar lest someone wish to follow.
Paul and Gail McMicheal (who flew twice as far as anyone from SoCal would have had to) gave me a momento I shall cherish that loudly describes myself (and Paul come to thnk of it) to a tea.

Some great times, great flying and great laughs.

You folks who don't come to these gatherings just don't know what you missing. When Connie said goodbye, she remarked how she and Ray so enjoyed another weekend with those of the Thorp family. That about said it all.

Thanks to everyone that came - I know it takes effort and buckage - I had fun and so do miss having a flyable aircraft, and you guys helped me with that.

Serial #279-1
Angel Fire, NM (KAXX)

Last edited by Fraser MacPhee on Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album  

fulcrumflyer
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:16 pm 

Bob Clayton kept a camera around his neck the entire time he was there. Any pictures from him or anyone else?

Last edited by admin on Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album  

joe wengerd
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:20 pm 

Dittos on the Utah Gathering, Sundance was fun too

Last edited by admin on Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

accpilot
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:49 am 

Hey Spanky and Fraser, I didn't get to settle up for the 'b' double 'e' double 'r' 'un' that you guys did. if you come to Denver I can return the favor. Thanks again for the great event.

Tony Cochran

Last edited by admin on Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

admin
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:09 am 
Administrator
Administrator

When and where was the "Utah gathering"?

Sorry I missed it. I am no longer in the airplane game, but back in the 70's I was real close to Mr. Thorp and his wife Kay for about 5 years. He taught me a whole lot about airplanes and life as I built a T211 (Skyscooter) and eventually sold the type certificate and manufacturing package that had been put together in the 50's & 60's.

*** admin posted for Tom Owens ***

Last edited by admin on Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fraser MacPhee
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:22 am 

Tony - no worries, bud - I wrote it off as (in my case) post traumatic landing syndrome medicinal necessities.

Tom Owens - would have loved to have had you at Heber City, UT last weekend.

Serial #279-1
Angel Fire, NM (KAXX)

Last edited by admin on Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album  

joe wengerd
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:14 pm 

Fraser,one last apology for inducing the trauma:> On sunday eastbound an down,about 20 min west of ogalala,ne i discovered the alt was not working. I went on to Kearney. this morn took alt to town,brushes were goners. was airborn right at 16:30.flew east then dropped down to Crete,ne.Thats when I realized i might not make it to Nebraska city cause of wx.I landed at Ne city ended up getting plane in hangar as the storm made apearance.And what a storm at 18:30.
Thank you Fraser for putting on the event at Heber,This between jobs thing is turning into one to write home about for sure!
joe

Last edited by admin on Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

copterplt
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:45 pm 

WOW,Did Gaile and I have a good time with club house gang in Heaber UT? You betcha. Although a long and beautiful 5 hr flight both ways it was much better than mowing the lawn or painting the house. Departed Sunday morning from Heber and busted out over the Salt lake airspace at 10,500ft and the WX was CAAFB all the way home with a fair tail wind to boot. What a super view out to the west and the great salt flats as we flew on into Twin Falls ID. I'M of the mind to have the next one here about the same time in the Seattle/Tacoma area if I can get some feed back on that it would be nice. Fraiser, it was a great time with good friends,Thanks Paul/Gaile

Last edited by admin on Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.