Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Fri Jun 21, 2024 3:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

fytrplt
 Post subject: Spring Gathering - 2015
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:21 am 

I am proposing a fly-out to the Bahamas as the Spring 2015 Gathering. I have a friend who sets these trips up on a regular basis and can guide us through the process. Let's discuss this possibility.

KLAL

Profile Personal album  

leewwalton
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:29 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I second that !!! I've done the Bahamas three times now (c182rg, be55, be200) in a Thorp were a bit limited on runways ( the really cool ones are a bit short and in pretty bad shape) but there are several beautiful spots that will be just fine.

Bob,
The whole process is pretty simple, file a flight plan outbound, clear Bahamas customs, on he way back fly file a flight plan into an airport of entry and clear us customs. Carry the proper gear as covered in the fars and make sure your insurance covers the Bahamas. We pretty much winged it from there. I do remember needing 12 inch temp n numbers though , not sure that's still required.

KEFD

Profile Personal album  

leewwalton
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:36 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Hate to admit this, the King Air 200 was the perfect island hopper ... Every runway at our disposal and enough fuel to last a week .. That plus the locals love seeing a 200 at 100ft over the beach. One thing about the Bahamas ... No big brother watching ... A lot of fun flying out there!!

KEFD

Profile Personal album  

Fraser MacPhee
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:22 am 

Well, this figgers...you guys just can't be happee settin around drinkin, jawin and cacklin, can ya?......y'all gotta one up everbuddy out west with a island hop.......

BTW...yesterday saw 3 states of T-18s get together to replace a cylinder on the ramp - everybody was about 1.5 hours from this place. I supervised...Howard Ginn directed, and Tony Ginn did all the work.

Serial #279-1
Angel Fire, NM (KAXX)

Profile Personal album  

leewwalton
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:50 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Seem to recall a few years back when the very same group of East coasters ventured from Florida West through the mountains to Salt Lake (pretty sure the same group has made it out to Cali a few times too) No reason you West coasters can't pack the bags and join us for a proper Thorp gathering, that is what these things are for after all!

KEFD

Profile Personal album  

david read
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:37 pm 

David and Karen are in!

Fraser MacPhee
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:23 am 

A little teasing fun - I would give up my left "insert something painless here" to write in and cross a Bahamas T-18 trip off the list. That would be a blast. I'm actually kinda proud that I have been to OSH twice, Rapid City, Visalia, Rosamond, CA, Montezuma, AZ, Arkansas, Texas and Kentucky Dam (without plane and assist from Lee) so far for gatherings/T-18 formation clinics ....that's beating the bushes far more than I thought I ever would. This two weeks paid vacation slavery stuff has to end before I venture out much more than that without She Who Eye Wership, who get's as much fun out of flying as I do mopping the kitchen floor.

Envy I feel....

Serial #279-1
Angel Fire, NM (KAXX)

Profile Personal album  

Tony Ginn
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:22 pm 

I'll be looking forward to seeing some pics of the Bahama Trip. For now, I thought I'd share pix of last weekend's excursion to Bryce Canyon. This probably belongs under TRIPS but I thought I'd just tag onto Fraser's earlier post. It was great to have the surprise visit from Mr McPhee. Cheers to all!
- Tony

Attachment:
File comment: -- The huge feeders from the North Rim into the Grand Canyon are quite a sight "up close and personal"
North Rim feeder.jpeg
North Rim feeder.jpeg [ 121.88 KiB | Viewed 15998 times ]

Attachments:
File comment: -- Howard happy that he's back to having a Code 1 airplane
Howard and N22DU.jpeg
Howard and N22DU.jpeg [ 118.9 KiB | Viewed 15998 times ]
File comment: -- Fraser "directing" lunch in the Bryce Cyn Airport lobby
Bryce Lunch.JPG
Bryce Lunch.JPG [ 153.46 KiB | Viewed 15998 times ]
File comment: -- The start of the Grand Canyon
Start of Grand Cyn.jpeg
Start of Grand Cyn.jpeg [ 111.8 KiB | Viewed 15998 times ]

dondday
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:38 pm 

I spoke with Christine in Lakeland awhile back. Believe she does some of the coordination for Bahamas or has some info on it. My question was with "Decals" and the filing through EAPIS. I didn't ask about survival equipment requirements, but believe Regs are very clear on that.

I'm more interested in a trip to Costa Rica and that part of the world. Would be for the most part, over Terra Firma. Those of us who have extended range fuel could make it with just a couple of stops. Would be a barrel of fun.

NX18DD

Profile Personal album  

bfinney
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:07 pm 

Colonel Highley,
Any more thoughts of a Bahamas trip? Island hopping in my airplane is way up there on by bucket list and what better way to do it than with a bunch of like minded Thorp aviators. There is a little ditty in the latest AOPA Pilot mag on flying to the Bahamas and I just spent the last couple of hours perusing the AOPA and Bahamas web sites. The only unknown I have is being able to get out of Seattle in the spring time. If it was done right after Sun-n-Fun that would give me an extra week to make it to FL if I planned on being at Sun-n-Fun. :) Right now those photos of the crystal clear water sure looks inviting, it's been raining cats and dogs here this afternoon, not a fun day in Seatlle.

N18JF T-18C #262
Yelm, WA USA

Profile Personal album  

fytrplt
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:04 am 

Right now, we are still gathering info on the Bahamas. Our thought was to go soon after S'nF so those who are in the area would only have to traverse these great United States once. I have wealth of information and experience here in there local area and can answer most of the questions that will come up. There are wide ranging resort packages as well. Let me hear what you folks are looking for. We need to decide length of stay, desired activities, etc.

Sun 'n Fun is putting together an air trip to the Bahamas in the May 2015 timeframe. We could tag onto that as well.

This proposed event does not necessarily need to be the Spring Gathering. We didn't have a quorum at Ky Dam this year, so no alternate site was proposed. Let's get some conversation going on this.

KLAL

Profile Personal album  

Doug S
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:26 am 

Temps here last night down into the low 60's. I am ready for some warm sun! I'm in if the dates work.
Used to need a ships radio license & a customs decal as well as the 12" numbers. Now it may be
"no problem mon"

Lou
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:02 am 

bfinney wrote:
Colonel Highley,
Any more thoughts of a Bahamas trip? Island hopping in my airplane is way up there on by bucket list and what better way to do it than with a bunch of like minded Thorp aviators. There is a little ditty in the latest AOPA Pilot mag on flying to the Bahamas and I just spent the last couple of hours perusing the AOPA and Bahamas web sites. The only unknown I have is being able to get out of Seattle in the spring time. If it was done right after Sun-n-Fun that would give me an extra week to make it to FL if I planned on being at Sun-n-Fun. :) Right now those photos of the crystal clear water sure looks inviting, it's been raining cats and dogs here this afternoon, not a fun day in Seatlle.

What Bruce said

Profile Personal album  

leewwalton
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:34 am 
Administrator
Administrator

This should get the mind working ...

http://www.bahamas.com/private-flying

KEFD

Profile Personal album  

leewwalton
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:37 am 
Administrator
Administrator

I've done the Bahamas Island Hopping several times .. twice for me and several times at the beck and call my employers. It's a lot of fun and not complicated. No different than going to Mexico or Canada, just clear customs in the Bahamas and coming back into the States, make sure you have the required gear on board per the FAR's and make sure your insurance covers you out in the islands.

KEFD

Profile Personal album