Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 9:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Tim Brown
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:08 am 

I have always had a little play on the right side, none on the left. I am wondering if there is an acceptable limit? And measured where.

Thanks

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:13 pm 

My stab started out with ZERO play and as it got a few hours I noticed a slight play during pre-flight . Not much...you could just feel it . Got out the wrenches and put about a 1/8 turn on the pivot bolt-nut/bushing and now have no play . May have been the primer I sprayed on the fittings during the painting phase and didn't remove on assembly and just wore off causing the play ? ???

RB

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:26 pm 

I've checked several A/C at various fly ins and found zero play up to about 3/8" ? Did not measure it just a ball park/eye ball measurement . I have not seen any "published" limit on the play for the stab (could be wrong here), just the amount of play for the S-18 wings . I did hear at one fly in that up to 1/4" is acceptable for the stab . That seems excessive to me . I would measure the play at the tip .

RB

Profile Personal album  

Bill Williams
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:20 pm 
Zero play and no more than 1/8". The bushing is the bearing and not the BOLT, the bolt should be tight. Bob and I worked on a Thorp a few months ago and found the bolts were loose and the stab had 3/16" play. Tightened the bolts and the play went away.

James Grahn
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:00 pm 

This is not a flutter problem. End play is expected as bushings wear. It's more a matter of your comfort level. Mine have about 3/16 at the tip.
Cubes

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:26 pm 

I think the bottom line question is...what are the "advertised" limits for the play ? I know what mine are ( zero to about 1/8") and "flutter" was never a concern . Best case... git in there and tighten the nut and bolt and see if that puts a rope around the the beast and reduces the play . It may not have been torqued down correctly in the first place ... per Bill Williams post. Could be a lack of "lube" and accelerated wear . Worse case put in a new bushing and bolt . We all get old and sag with age ! Bada Bing, Bada Boom ! :'(

RB

Profile Personal album  

James Grahn
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:43 pm 

I asked this question to Mike Archer. He remembers reading something about 1/8th inch at the tip. It sure feels like more.

Profile Personal album