Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

shackwd
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:14 pm 

Does buying a Thorp make you a Caretaker? Modifications?
For my thoughts on being a Thorp caretaker, taking into consideration, that Thorps don't come off an assembly line, but in many cases, took years to build. As an example, the two builders of the Thorps I've flown, both took about ten years each to build. It does make you stop and think. Should new owners even say "my Thorp" or "mine"? I didn't build the Thorp I fly. Of course, I did take responsibility for her.

For me, my money is tight, but I'm trying to be a better caretaker of N921JK, T-18C. I still need to get her home to Flabob, she needs work first, but I will get her there. Not to be gender-specific, but I do believe aircraft talk back to you when flying.

I'd like to put a bunch of hours on N921JK T-18C, as she is. I'll hold off on the bubble windshield, not sure I could do it without asking Jack or John Kenton first, not sure if they're still around. I'm thinking of a reversible change, returning her to the original flat windshield, if need be, or if I let her go.

Thanks,
Shack
N921JK T-18C Orig Airfoil - Built by John Kenton, his son Jack flew her for about 30 years, I fly her now.
N711RF T-18 - Built by Roy Funk, I flew her about 200 hrs - Sold

Deleted the post to edit - Changed the title and wording.

Profile Personal album  

James Grahn
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:25 pm 

Jack Kenton died a few years back, I believe.
Cubes

Profile Personal album  

shackwd
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:31 am 

Cubes, I couldn't confirm Jack passed away. I finally found my CD FAA records on N921JK buried in storage, thought I had lost them. It had John F Kenton as the builder and John F Kenton Jr, "Jack", as the later owner. I used a free search. http://californiaobits.tributes.com/ Using their advanced search, I was able to pick the state and time frame. It appeared to show John F Kenton Sr passing on April 5, 1991. The Lacey WA address matched the FAA records. It didn't have a listing for Jack. It did allow me to search for any Kenton that passed between 2010 and now. It had 96 listings for all the states, none of them matched. Using street view, I connected Jack to the Altavita Retirement Village here in Riverside CA, using his last FAA address. Found out Westmont Village bought out Altavita Village thru a BK about 2 1/2 years ago. Found phone numbers for both, talked to the same person. Of course, they wouldn't give out any info on Jack, but did say the address in the FAA records is part of their village. Jack's last post was Sun Jul 06, 2014. Called the EAA, a fellow couldn't find anything saying Jack had Gone West, but did imply his membership expired about 2 1/2 years ago, he did like my idea of putting a Gone West tab on the EAA site.

Another opportunity was missed on my part. I should have found him and at least said hello. Would've liked to have flown with him, which would've made his POH crystal clear. Listening to his stories would also have been nice, not just the facts but the adventures. Sounds like you're right on his passing. R.I.P.

Thanks,
Shack
N921JK T-18C Orig Airfoil - Built by John Kenton, his son Jack flew her for about 30 years, I fly her now.
N711RF T-18 - Built by Roy Funk, I flew her about 200 hrs - Sold

Deleted to Edit: Updated info several times.

Profile Personal album