Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Andy475
 Post subject: Thorp Insurance
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:55 pm 

Good Evening All,

I just received my renewal notice in the mail, and its up $1000 in just two years. I have a $45K hull policy and they are wanting $2500 a year for it now. I've got 400 hrs in the Thorp, about 1000 in tailwheel, and almost 3000 TT (all accident and issue free). Seems highly excessive for a 2 seater with welded gear and a real engine. Has anyone had better luck with their companies this year? If so, who? Much thanks.

Andy

peterjaypriest
 Post subject: Re: Thorp Insurance
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:28 am 

I've had my T18 for a little over a year, and never owned a tailwheel airplane before. So, I have very little tailwheel time. With a 50K hull, my insurance is a bit less than what you were quoted.

I'm happy with my insurance guy: Ian Webster / D’Vill Insurance Services P: (805) 610-0568 E: dvillinsurance@gmail.com

Peter

Profile Personal album  

James Grahn
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:42 pm 

I dropped my hull insurance. As my buddy put it….you will either be dead and don’t care, or you will fix it. May not be the right solution for everyone. When I called to complain after owning the Tigress for 24 years and 1500+ hours, they said it was due to the Max crashes. I actually said “BS! You have nothing to do with those”.
Insurance is a scam I’m my book.
Cubes

Profile Personal album  

bfinney
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:30 pm 

Just recieved my latest quote this morning, same as last year $2115 for 40K hull and 1M liability. I'm over 70 with 980 hours tailwheel. In 2019 it was $1370. Note, of the five companies that replied only one provided a quote, my current company. I use Sky Smith agency, he is a broker.

N18JF T-18C #262
Yelm, WA USA

Profile Personal album  

pmandel
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:34 pm 

I pay $1898 per year, identical to last year dollar-for-dollar, for $50k hull, $1MM liability. And I DO have an accident within the past two years (in a Mooney), and respectfully suggest to Cubes et al to reconsider having hull coverage. I was fortunate that the Mooney owners had full hull coverage, so no money out of my pocket nor my non-owner/CFI insurer's pocket. It's easy to total an aircraft and still walk away unscathed. The pilot flying got surprised by some windshear and smacked short of the runway. Sheared off one of the gear legs. That's all it took, repairs would have cost more than half the value of the airplane.

Let the insurance company pay for it, buy it back from them cheep -- THEN fix it.

Anyway, I hope you find better rates somewhere. Feel free to reach out to my gal Teri at Northwest Insurance Group (Hillsboro, OR) https://nwinsurance.net -- tell her I sent you.

Beaverton OR