Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

pmandel
 Post subject: Re: Autopilot Retrofit?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:58 am 

Just sharing pics to show where Pacific Coast Avionics (KUAO, Aurora OR) installed the TruTrak (now Bendix-King like everything else, unless it's Garmin) pitch servo in N118BC.

Looks like I only shot one photo of the pitch servo installation, and that was before the actual installation. Shows where the clamp is going to wrap around the elevator torque tube. The technician mounted the servo on the floor about a foot ahead of where you see the clamp, then used the shorter rod provided with the xCruze 110 to connect the servo arm to the clamp. Bruce Finney's location of the servo motor (see above in this thread) looks like a better location, possibly.

The roll servo was unchanged by the tech, he reused the one already there which is where it was when I bought the plane from Lee is. I regret I do not have a photo of that installation but it appears to be the same as discussed above (under the pax seat).

Beaverton OR

peterjaypriest
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:15 pm 

For others that are trying to source some bracket for the elevator servo push tube (as I was a few weeks ago...) Here is what I came up with:

I used (3) 2" ADEL clamps around the tube, and those connect to an easily fabricated bracket. Attach the servo pushrod to that bracket, and easy!

Profile Personal album  

Bandit_1
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:26 am 

Dear community,

I just want to inform you about my recent AP installation of Trio Avionics - ProPilot autopilot servos. The pitch servo is in line with the most of the installations discussed here (ADEL clamps used WDG12 + WDG15 for each elevator tube connection), but the roll servo implementation was done slightly different to what was presented so far. Hopefully my implementation will be considered beneficial as reference. The system works great ... no issues.

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:21 am 

looks nice. How do you like the Trio so far?

Profile Personal album  

Bandit_1
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:06 am 

Hi,

amazing piece of technology. I like all the various features built into it. Very easy and intuitive to operate in my opinion (there maybe different opinions out there). The servo install was quite straight fwd, didn't had any issue.
I have flown some AP driven none precision ILS approaches, since my GPS doesn't providing ARINC connection for precision approaches, but went down clean to 400ft AGL w/o any issues ... like I said, quite nice piece of technology.
https://youtu.be/4SsffazBsu8

At the selection process I compared all available APs, but finally decided for the ProPilot, in my opinion the most bang for the bug (at least for me) ;o()

all in all, I am very happy and could recommend it.

Hope it helps ... 8)