Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 4:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Beans
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:00 am 

Howdy Thorp Folks!

I'm new to the Thorp Forum (and to homebuilding) but I've been lurking on this site, and on anything T-18, for years. It goes without saying that the T-18 is such a great homebuilt design...that's why you all are still flying them over 40 years later!

Anyhow, I found a 35+ year old project and I'm wondering if it's worth pursuing. The owner lost his medical and wishes to sell the project as a result. About 95% of the metalwork is done (I know, and 95% left..), it's on gear, has some instruments, and has the engine and canopy installed. The metal is covered in zinc chromate in and out (not painted), and has been in a garage since day one. The engine was rebuilt in 1973, but the builder does not have the engine log nor does he know how many hours were on it when purchased. It's an O-290 D2 that came out of a Piper.

There is no builder's log. Having reviewed what's required by the FAA when purchasing a project from another builder, not having a builder's log looks like it could be a problem. What does one do in a situation like this?

While the motor has been pulled through a few times per year I have no idea what has been going on inside that engine for the last 40+ years, but maybe it would be usable. I'm sure the hoses and anything rubber would require replacement...another rebuild would be a strong possibility (at a minimum).

Please offer your advice, any suggestions, and ideas on an offer amount. I am handy, have been flying for 16 years and thought this might be a easier way to test my homebuilding skills and get in the air sooner. My Dad is almost 80 and has built 3 homebuilts, so at least I have a technical expert in the family (he just lives too far away). I'm an optimist, so I want to know if I'm getting into something that's over my head.

Thanks in advance,
Beans

“The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!”

Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bill Williams
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:10 am 
The age should not be a factor, Workmanship and price would be a consideration. As for the engine, pull one of the cylinders off and look at the cam. Sitting this long could produce rust. Compare what you pay for the project a with todays prices to buy new, could be a good deal.

Last edited by admin on Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fraser MacPhee
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:21 am 

Beans huh....wife thinks you and I might get along - I can only imagine where that came from....:) - if it were me, once you have determined the workmanship and the motors condition, and gotten it home, I would take apart what I could - remove wings and break down the sections, same wih the tail, cowl, etc., unscrew every panel and organize all the parts and pieces and take photos - then study the drawings (maybe do that before the afformentioned steps)and commence reassemble. This will accomplish two things - it will start your own "builder's log" and it will give you peace of mind as you start knowing and understanding the aircraft more intimately. I too questioned the requirements of the builder's log, and was told by my seasoned and Highley sought after T-18 psychiatrist that the plane had to be 51% amateur built but not necessarily meaning YOU had to be the 51%er - only one "repairman cert" issued per airplane tho.

As you have been lurking here for some time, you know the level of support and encouragement you have from the good folk on these threads.

I've just entered the twilight zone myself having just purchased a similar project, after selling my once beloved Brazen Cheating Hussy perfectly good "flying" T-18C to a snowbird - Go get one and we'll see who can finish up first - I'll show you mine if you show us yours.

Serial #279-1
Angel Fire, NM (KAXX)

Last edited by admin on Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:39 am 

Brad: I agree with Bill, age should not be a factor. Workmanship and "attention to detail" need to be evaluated. Is there a T-18 builder in your area that can look at it ? Maybe another experienced builder or sheet metal mechanic ? A 40 year old engine (that has not been started) is certainly going to be a challenge ! A bore scope or cylinder removal would be required, in my opinion, to look for rust and or corrosion. Another factor to consider will be the engine AD's and any prop AD's ? The age may suggest at least an oil pump AD.

It goes without saying all the rubber items (hoses/gaskets) will need replacing. Lack of logs ? Not sure how that works. As far as a builder log, if there are pics of the building process it may be possible to "recreate" a log. The lawyers in the group may have more advice on this subject or a visit to the local FSDO may have an answer.

You may have found a Gem. To buy all the parts in a "kit form"(less engine, instruments, etc), is around $17,000 plus shipping.

You really need an experienced set of eyes to review this project and give you an honest opinion as to the...

1. Construction techniques used.
2. Materials used. ie: aircraft grade metal/fittings/parts.

RB
NX115RX

Last edited by admin on Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:44 am 

Funny thing Brad...I was going to suggest you hook up with Fraser and pick his noodle for advice as he has purchased one the these 95% completed projects. At this point in time I think all the useful information in Fraser's brain has been sucked out ! It may be possible to do a partial Mind Melt and recover some useful information ! [:p]

RB

Last edited by admin on Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album  

Beans
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:49 pm 

Many thanks to those that responded to my inquiry (love this forum already). I have contacted several Technical Advisors in my area who have provided similiar advice and hope to act on it in the near future with the seller's permission. I will keep the forum notified of my progress.
Thanks again,
Beans

“The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!”

Last edited by admin on Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.