Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Wed Aug 14, 2024 5:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Richard H Woodcock
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:56 am 

This was mentioned on another thread, and I'd like to discuss it here. There are a lot of systems out there, and I agree with the comment Lee made that we are close to being able to buy a small PC and using it as a flight display.

I have steam guages, like most, but was looking for a moving map display that would run on a PC, have integrated flight planning, and get away from the costs associated with Garmin and the like. Perhaps engine and flight instruments at a later time, but for now, just a moving map and computer-assisted flight planning (with weather, at least on the ground).

Dynon and MGL look good to me, but are a little pricey, since I have the steam guages in already. Maybe later.

But, what I was really interested in was a moving map, flight planning, and software that would run both on a small laptop, and desktop as well. I bought a Toughbook computer, and although the display isn't as bright as I'd like, it is usable, and has a touchscreen for use in flight.

Aproach Systems "Apic" looks good, especially the plates. Flight planning is (or was) lacking. I'll probably get it shortly to try the latest version.

Pocket FMS is even better for flight planning, but it is quite complicated, and has some bugs that make me leery of using it until they're resolved. Also, it doesn't show victor airways. I had a trial, and am still considering it. Other than the lack of Victor airways and approach plates, it is very close.

I haven't used Navzilla, but it might be good.

I know there are others, does anyone have experience with them, or just some that they know of that show promise?

Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

fytrplt
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:55 am 

Richard,

Try this one: http://www.rmstek.com/ Bill Williams and I have used this program for more than four years and it just keeps getting better. Neil and his wife Christine are the owners/operators and are some of the best folks out there.

They are at all the big shows and take a personal interest in each of their customers.

The program comes in two parts: the flight planner Flightsoft and the moving map Vista. The cost is $119 per year after the initial outlay. This includes everything; sectionals, IFR charts, approach plates, terrain maps, road maps, taxi diagrams, airport info guides and more.

You will need a GPS receiver (mine is Blue Tooth) that is compatible with your notebook. Try it, you will like it.

KLAL

Last edited by admin on Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album  

Terry Adams
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:56 pm 

Moving Map
I have used APIC for the last two years and like it. I have a Blue tooth GPS ($50) mounted above the baggage area and use a HP4700 PDA 4" Dia hi-res screen ($100 ebay) on a RAM mount. It has been pin point accurate, provides terrain awareness, and is easy.

Last edited by admin on Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album  

Richard H Woodcock
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:56 am 

Bob or Bill,
I looked at the RMS website. The downsides seem to be that it won't interface to an autopilot or engine instruments. Will it track an instrument approach both vertically and horizontally? Other than that, it seems like it's probably the best out there. Thanks.

Terry,
I had an Apic demo for a while. My complaints on that were that some of the approach plates didn't track right, flight planning was cumbersome, at least for me, and it lacked weather. I was also concerned that they have been announcing the "epod" engine instrument interface for years, but haven't released it. Seems like they may have lost interest to the point that support may disappear completely. Pluses were, as you say, it's easy and straightforward. Also cheap. Thanks for your comments.

Last edited by admin on Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

fytrplt
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:18 am 

Rich,
Best I can tell, you are right; it doesn't interface with the aircraft systems. We use it as an independent navigation system that will work even if the plane's electrical system fails. The best part is you can take it out of the plane and do your flight planning and then get back in the plane and continue on. My autopilot is hooked up to the Garmin 150 I have installed in the plane. I don't take my PC with me on every flight, just the long cross countries. The PC doubles for email checking and ground navigation as well.

KLAL

Last edited by admin on Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album  

Richard H Woodcock
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:38 pm 

Bob,
Honestly, I think it does all that a PC based system should do. Those that try to do everything for everyone end up not doing anything very well (imho). Since they don't offer a trial, I'm glad to have input before I commit. Will it show the plane's track on an instrument approach both vertically and horizontally (like APIC) or does it just display the plate?

Last edited by admin on Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fytrplt
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:50 pm 

Rich,

It will only show your position on the plate with a vector line to show present track. True verticle navigation would require a waas enabled GPS receiver and guaranteed chart/position corelation. These charts are GIF based and subject to scale errors. IMHO, this is beyond the scope of a PC based nav aid. My non-waas Bluetooth GPS gives a close proximity of the true altitude, but not good enough for a precision approach.

KLAL

Last edited by admin on Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album  

Richard H Woodcock
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:31 am 

Bob,
Actually, I don't think WAAS is a problem - several of the USB or bluetooth GPS receivers are WAAS enabled (although non-PMA'd). Non-proven chart alignment is a problem.

Anyway, I understand. Thanks for your comments.
Rich

Last edited by admin on Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.