Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:46 pm 

I just installed hinged landing gear fairing on my flying T18. I installed them with the wheel pants on. It is doable, but man, that's a real pain in the backside to get those hinged fairings installed. I will not be removing those things unless I absolutely have to.

Of course my old upper cuffs do not fit anymore, so I may try and make my own before I break down and buy some from Thorp Central.

Profile Personal album  

TonyNZ
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:14 am 

I looked at doing that and decided I couldn't figure out how to get the hinge wire in.
Ended up using 5 aluminium pop rivets' up trailing edge, easy to drill out if need to get fairing off.
Have fun.

Tony Schischka
ZK-VMS

Profile Personal album  

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:09 pm 

Yes, I usually try to build things with future ease of maintenance in mind. The hinged gear leg fairings are definitely not in that category when I could just drill out 5 rivets like you. But, I personally think they are aesthetically the best option for a removable leg fairing.

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:37 pm 

Attachment:
Leg Fairings 002.JPG
Leg Fairings 002.JPG [ 1.3 MiB | Viewed 6346 times ]
Attachment:
Leg Fairings 001.JPG
Leg Fairings 001.JPG [ 1.4 MiB | Viewed 6346 times ]
My idea for the leg fairing . #40 screws and nutplates . You will never know there are nutplates attached to the back of the fairing (at least you can't see them ) . Feeble idea from a feeble mind ! ::)

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

James Grahn
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:01 pm 

I did what you see in RBs bird. Except I rivet in a piece of 1/8 by 3/4 aluminum. I simply tap that for the screws. The Tigress has the same thing except the trailing edge is folded so the strip is actually about an inch forward of the trailing edge.
Cubes

Profile Personal album  

david read
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:53 pm 

I used folded trailing edges to match my flaps and ailerons. The picture is not great but I put the seam on the inside and just stuck the trailing edge of the inside into the folded part. Tension keeps it there, no fasteners. Just a connection at the top fairing to keep it from falling down.

Fraser MacPhee
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:50 pm 

David Read's idea and execution are brilliant!...I'd pay serious money for a template of that piece!! Kudos David!!

Serial #279-1
Angel Fire, NM (KAXX)

Profile Personal album  

Jim Mantyla
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:59 pm 

Guys,

I have the hinge on the trailing edge of the gear leg fairing as well. My solution was to replace the pin with a piece of 1/16" stainless steel welding rod. Sharpened to a point on the bottom and bent in an "L" shape on the top. It is bent into a curve and installs and removes easy. The 1/16 rod is smaller in diameter but it is not noticeable.

Regards,

Jim

Jeff J
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:56 am 

david read wrote:
I used folded trailing edges to match my flaps and ailerons. The picture is not great but I put the seam on the inside and just stuck the trailing edge of the inside into the folded part. Tension keeps it there, no fasteners. Just a connection at the top fairing to keep it from falling down.

Is that seam like what is used on HVAC metal duct pipe?

"The joke in aviation is, 'If you want to make a million, you'd better start with £10m.' " -Bruce Dickinson

Profile Personal album  

david read
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:53 pm 

Nope. The outside piece trailing edge is rolled around just like we do ailerons. In other words it has about a 1/4” diameter and the outside piece ends after traveling about 1/2-5/8” forward. The trailing edge of the inside piece is cut off square and just sets inside of the curled edge. I do not completely bend the leading edge so there is a little tension holding the trailing edges apart. This gives the sides their rounded shape. It makes the seam almost invisible and no fasteners needed. Mine has been like that for several hundred hour with no issues.