Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Kraken
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 12:56 pm 

Hello everyone, I'm an old guy, but a new guy here. This is a really nice forum, so much thanks to whoever maintains it.
I have a Thorp that's based in Creswell, Oregon. I'm going to give up flying, and I think I may part the airplane out. I don't want the liability of selling an airplane to someone. The first thing I want to do is remove the wing. I'm not the original builder, so I'm scratching my head about the best way to go about it. I removed that panel on the bottom below the yoke, trying to see how it's bolted on, but it's not exactly obvious from what I see. I saw in the FAQ the wing drops down, but where are the critical fasteners? Are they all just bolts or do I need to remove some rivets? Can I separate the wings at the mid point and how hard is that? Any advice much appreciated. Thanks, Don

fytrplt
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 1:23 pm 

Separating the wing at mid point involves cutting the spar - not recommended. I would suggest you find a competent airframe mechanic. the wing is held on by four bolts, two on the main spar and two at the aft spar. You will need to remove the flaps as well.

KLAL

Profile Personal album  

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 2:07 pm 

oh man, I would talk to you about buying it as parts before you cut it up.

Profile Personal album  

ljkrume
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 4:41 pm 

Maybe he doesn’t mean midpoint of the total wingspan, but the dihedral break on each side. That can be done without cutting, right? The T18 has bolted fittings at the dihedral breaks so the total wing comes apart with a center, left, and right sections. Like Bob says, 4 bolts on center section. But does it have wing root fairings or other small parts riveted there to the fuselage too? My guess you shouldn’t have much trouble if you can get extra hands to help.

Les

Profile Personal album  

James Grahn
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 4:52 pm 

In generalities, here you go. Remove the sticks. Remove the baggage compartment floors. Disconnect flaps from cables in baggage compartment. Remove flaps. Remove outer wings. Disconnect pitch push pull tube from the walking beam. Remove aft spar bolts. Remove/disconnect and pitot tube or wiring to the wing. Support the main wing. Remove two main spar bolts. Drop the wing.. You will need help.
The best help is offered through EAA via liability contract. You can sell your bird with a very strong contract. I hate to see good Thorp’s go to waste.
Cubes

Profile Personal album  

Kraken
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 5:28 pm 

Thank you guys for all your help. Yes I meant like ljkrume mentioned; separate it at the dihedral. I've never been under that strap at that joint, but I figured it's a bolted arrangement. Thank you James for your detailed tips;much appreciated. I'll look into that EAA liability contract. If it's EAA endorsed, then it must be a good one. I'm definitely not going to waste this plane. I've loved it, and since I've owned it, I never wanted any other plane. In Thorp history, there we're four planes built at the same time on John Thorp's jigs. One was Ken Brock's Sweet Marie, the other one is mine, and the other two I don't know who. I've sold my hangar, but I'm renting back from the guy. He's happy having me stay, but I have room for it at home if I go that way.

Hagle347
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 7:21 pm 

Addressing your main concern : in all the years that home built aircraft have been in the market- there has not been a single legal case brought against an owner or builder. You have an aircraft that is proven.
It’s flown many years and had many condition inspections.
The Thorp community would be better off if this aircraft was kept flying. Liability and fear are close cousins. If you want to sell, sell- heck, Cubes is always looking for airplanes..;)

Profile Personal album  

Kraken
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 10:36 pm 

Thank you Hagle. Those are some wise words. Appreciate it. Don

pmandel
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:58 am 

Kraken, I'm a mere 30 minutes away from you by T-18. It's wonderful to know mine isn't the only bird in Oregon! May I come see it just for fun? I'm based at Starks Twin Oaks Airpark 7S3.

Beaverton OR

Kraken
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:54 pm 

Hi Philip, sure I'd be happy to meet you. Email me your phone number at T18skyguy@hotmail.com and I'll call you. Thanks, Don