Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Tim06A
 Post subject: N312LL
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:58 am 

Hello, I'm thinking about buying a T18 SN#194 N312LL. The plans and a bunch of the older paperwork have been lost. It was damaged way back in the 70's and repaired by an experienced builder in Mi. Does anyone have any knowledge of this particular plane?

Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

admin
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:46 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Tim,
Here's a reference found in NL 79

"Dear Richard,
Since I talked to you and ordered the newsletter and back issues, I purchased a beautiful T-18, N312LL, from J. Paul Warren. My real name is Paul J. Warren. As far as we both know, we are not related. It was built by Lawrence Larcom and first flown in 1969. Total time on the airframe is just over 600 hours. I have 50 hours in it would have more but for some schoolin, the winter weather and shoulder surgery in February. The airplane had been damaged and was being restored by Nick Seraphinoff, T-18 Nll101, when I discovered it. I helped, in a very minor capacity when I could get over to Detroit from Minneapolis, to reassemble it and got a good chance to view the excellent workmanship by Mr. Larcom and Nick.

Everything that I have heard about the Thorp is true. If it were any more fun to fly, the government would make it illegal. The powerplant is an 0320-150. Cruise at 2450 RPM is about 160 MPH (airspeed ndicator reads low - stall indicates 43 and altimeter drops about 150 feet from ground to flight, I suspect a slight pressurization of the static system). It includes a full panel, Narco Com-200 com/nav w/glideslope and AT-50 w/mode C. I have wheel pants - painted but not yet installed and strobes - power supplies purchased but not yet installed. I also have a second com set, an RST audio panel/intercom/marker beacon that I built and an accelerometer, all not installed. My intention is to rebuild the entire panel and include a loran, some decent engine monitoring instruments and a fuel quantity indicator which I am currently sans (top off before flight). The canopy fit needs improvement, too. There is no hold-down mechanism for the back; it's too drafty in the winter but ventilation for hot weather improved. There are a number of other problems/improvements that should be attended to, and that sounds like a lot of complaint, but in fact I am delighted with the airplane and just look forward to making it even better. I'm still working my way through the back newsletter issues. They have been of great help to me. I highly recommend them to anyone either building or purchasing a T -18.Thank you for your efforts to keep the T-18ers informed and in contact.
Sincerely
Jack Warren, 2887 Lakeshore Ave. Maple
Plain, MN 55359"

Last edited by admin on Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

admin
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:27 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

T-18, N312LL. was built at Delaware Ohio by Larry Larcom who died several years ago.Larry
had a machine shop and sold farm impliments. I had a ride in Larrys plane shortly after it
was built. I know the plane had damage when a fluorescent light fell on it but never saw the damage.
Ted Williams

*** admin posted for Ted Williams ***

Last edited by admin on Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

larrysalerno
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:58 pm 

My Thorp 321ML was built by NickSerifonoff, it was number 5 he built or helped build. My Thorp is for sale it has a "mouse motor" that just had a top overhaul and needs to be reassembled. it only has about 280 hours total. Full panel and a kx155 nav com. If interested contact me for further details. It is hanaged at C77 currently, I will be at KY Dam saturday.

Last edited by admin on Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.