Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Dsmith703
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:10 pm 

Hi everyone,

I have found a T-18 locally (New England) for sale, it matches my mission and it seems in great shape. I'm working with the seller, but in the mean time, I've gone through the lost of Thorp Ambassador list and can't seem to find an active CFI betweren here and Texas that's willing to teach in a Thorp. My insurance broker attempted to get quotes from 5 different insurance companies, and only two replied. The best rate I could get was $1904/yr, (insuring the hull value for a $25k purchase price) and I must get 10 hours dual with an instructor that has at least 750TT, 250 Tailwheel, and 25 in type. This all seems pretty ridiculous to me. It's not like insurance companies will negotiate on any of this, so I'm not really sure what to do. I was thinking full hull coverage would be a little more than half that, and the restrictions on the CFI seem pretty unreasonable/so far impossible to find.

I am a CFI, ATP with 7200TT and 90 tailwheel.

Thanks in advance,

- DAN

Rv3maker
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:25 pm 

Would they insure you after so many hours PIC? IOW, if you self insure for the first XX hours would they insure you?

Not saying it is the ideal situation, but have known several people with RV's that basically just flew the aircraft until they met the requirement to get insurance.

It's getting a bit ridiculous.

Profile Personal album  

Dsmith703
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:14 pm 

Rv3maker wrote:
Would they insure you after so many hours PIC? IOW, if you self insure for the first XX hours would they insure you?

Not saying it is the ideal situation, but have known several people with RV's that basically just flew the aircraft until they met the requirement to get insurance.

It's getting a bit ridiculous.

Thanks for the reply.

Are Thorps more accident prone than other aircraft or are rates just going nuts? I have a friend who has thousands of hours in taildraggers, and hundreds in an RV-6, I'd feel more comfortable with someone like him. I understand the T-18 is 10-15 kts faster on final than the RV, but they've gotta be pretty comparable right?

MiltonFem
 Post subject: free followers net
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:44 am 

Free Instagram Tools:
Free insta Likes

James Grahn
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:10 am 

They are comparable in every way… except they handle better.
Insurance is outrageous in every facet of life.
If you do not want to self insure as mentioned above, let me know. I’ll do it, or find someone who will.
Cubes

Profile Personal album