Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

flyingfool
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:09 pm 

I saw last week on Avweb that Hartzell bought out Whirlwind propellers.

Some indicated the investment firm that bought/owns Hartzell propellers has a propensity for dramatically increasing the prices of the firms it buys. Some are speculating (fear mongering?) that prices could dramatically jump in the terms of double or triple.

Therefore I was wondering. I am a LONG way off from needing a propeller But perhaps it would make sense to purchase a propeller now, rather than wait.

Looking briefly at the whirlwind website that the propeller needed is the same whether O290, O320 or O360. with only the length a choice between 68, 70 or 72". https://whirlwindpropellers.com/aircraf ... 20-io-360/

Since this none constant speed prop will not really "age". Does it make any sense to jump now and invest in the propeller. As if the price does significantly increase, it will be money well spent.

What say the gang?

If the consensus is to "buy now". Then what diameter is appropriate for a T-18/S-18?.

Profile Personal album  

James Grahn
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:29 pm 

Everything in this country is getting more expensive. But I don’t buy into conspiracy theories about things like this. You stand to lose a lot more money buying the wrong prop than you do by waiting. Props are motor and airframe specific. If it were me, I’d wait. Hartzell is not the only manufacturer.
Cubes

Profile Personal album  

flyingfool
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:27 pm 

Thanks Cubes.

After posting this, I thought if I have the cash to buy now, I'd probably be better off investing it into a CD or other investment to cash it out when it is needed at the right time.

Profile Personal album