Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Fri Jun 21, 2024 12:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

DanaL
 Post subject: wood prop preservation
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:51 pm 

Hey all,

I'll get straight to the point. I am about ready to push the buy it now button on a duplicating router. I am asking all of you with wood props from now defunct manufactures if you would be interested in allowing me to create masters from your props to preserve the engineering for future use. I would allow a one time credit against a prop for just the cost of materials.
The last time I spoke with Mike Demuth about 5 months prior to his passing I got the general idea that he had no interest in the business continuing after him. I just hate the thought of those designs being lost. Just asking if there is any interest here. I'll pose the same question on the Van's forum if I receive any positive feedback here. Thanks, Dana LaBounty

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:09 pm 

Sounds interesting ! :P I like my DM prop , but would like a little more cruise mph out of it . ;) Add me to your list . Would this process require me sending you my prop ? Would the material build up be the same as the DM prop ? ??? I know a lot of questions . :)

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

SHIPCHIEF
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:23 pm 

Dana;
I have a Ted Hendrickson 68x68 that seems ideal for an O-290 powered T-18. My son Peter has a Hendrickson 68x7? on a 160 HP RV-4, and it's also a fine performer.
Unfortunately, both are in service. Just how long would it take for you to duplicate a blade and get the prop back to the owner?

DanaL
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:17 am 

I'm just starting on this so there are still details to work out. I may be able to come up with a system that if the owner is gifted with the use of tools the prop could be measured and traced without sending it to me. I have a contour duplicator tool for doing body work that could be used for the airfoil station templates so I am close to having this figured out. The prop would have to be off the plane and on a flat work bench.
The wood that will get used is yet to be determined. This is the area that I'm putting the time into study. I'm getting there but this in the early stages. I just really wanted to make sure this was something people other than myself wanted. Dana

dan
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:24 am 

I too like the Demuth Prop Rich, I have a 68x72 Dana, If I can help you let me know..Dan

Keith S.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:02 pm 

Dana,

I have a Ted Hendrickson 68x72. It is in a shipping crate right now, and I wont be needing it for a while.

Keith Schneider

stevehawley
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:44 pm 

Dana, I had to hang my Warnke prop on the wall after 25 years and 1,200 hours of service. I would dearly love to have another just like it. Berny died of cancer back in 92 or there abouts so I didn't think I could ever have another. I'm prejudiced but I really think Bernys props were every bit as good as the AD ones. I will bring it over to you when you can use it.
Steve Hawley

DanaL
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:16 pm 

Steve and all,

It looks like the interest is there so I'm going ahead with this. It will take me a few months to get everything in place as it's time to start field work on the farm and ORE/ORI season at the day job. I am thinking that once I get some user time with the machine and build some blanks I should be able to cut a master in less than a day so the turn around on a loaner prop would be short. I want this to be painless and beneficial to all concerned.
I do have some technical material on it's way and I am making contacts for northern birch and hard maple. As I progress I will be sure to keep you all posted. Dana