Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2024 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Fraser MacPhee
 Post subject: C/S prop maintenance
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:19 am 

My epiphany for the month was...."Gee, I wonder what the standard maintenance is on a C/S prop".....as this is my first constant speed prop experience. My prop was throwing a little grease out of one of the seals, and having spoken with a few people about a year ago, all said they toos a little grease and not to worry too much about it. Hartzell states to grease once a year or every 100 hours, whichever comes first(with some exceptions). I printed out the recommended procedures.
Funny thing, the A&P who conditional'd the plane in May didn't even ask or mention anything about the prop. Not assigning blame - it's my responsibility.
Regardless, I had not greased that prop since purchasing the plane a year and a half ago.....Stoopid
Anyway, I purchased a new grease gun and a tube of Aeroshell 5...
(a) Good high temperature qualities, very little oil separation or leakage. Cannot be
used in temperatures colder than -40

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
 Post subject: Re: C/S prop maintenance
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:06 pm 

For a long time I wondered why after a wash job our squadron aircraft had fresh grease coming out of the fittings...I know fresh grease is good ! I was told after the wash job fresh grease was pumped thru the fittings until all the old (black) grease was forced out and new grease was seen at the fittings . BOOM ! ;)

RB

Profile Personal album  

Victor J Thompson
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:25 pm 

Rich / Fraser: Following washing a aircraft with either controlled pressure washing or hand washing aircraft soap (Alkaline cleaners are mostly soap or detergent based) or Mild Acid Cleaners (organic solvent that dissolve grease and yet is soluble in water) can get into flight control bearings / Landing gear oleo's and pitot systems. Speeds up corrossion to these components.

It is common maintenance practices to purge these soaps or acid cleaners with grease or wiping the oleo's down with hydraulic fluid or clean windscreens with glass or plastic cleaners as applicable.
Note following a aircraft wash this is the best time to inspect your aircraft for corrossion, water drains, canopy seals etc.

Fraser: prop servicing: the leak that you had caused the vibration at all prop settings. (out of balance)
A vibration in all settings is cause to inspect the prop.
Most maintainers would grease the prop to eliminate the vibs as part of trouble shooting; as it is ~ pretty cheep fix.
I would recommend that you get a prop service record book to record maintenance for 2 reasons:
1. reminder of when next to service, and
2. for maintenance record in the event that you sell your plane.

1.5 years without servicing the prop, eventually the prop seal will stop leaking when all the grease runs out,....

You raised an important issue good on you, grease your prop in 100 hours.

Profile Personal album  

Fraser MacPhee
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:08 am 

Victor

Done, done, and done - thanks for the feedback.

Profile Personal album