Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Lou
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:53 pm 

So I'm kicking a mag to the curb I need to get up to speed on what, who, where, and why. ELECTRONIC ING. What are you guys running? what do you like and what do you not like? Where is the best place to get one (yes I know OSH would have been the place).

Profile Personal album  

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:00 pm 

when my 500 hour slicks are due, I am thinking of going this way too. I look forward to hearing the responses to your question.

Profile Personal album  

TonyNZ
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:51 pm 

I brought an Electronic electronic system from Jeff Rose at Oshkosh 96. Fitted that year and apart from replacing an early type Hall effect sensor and the pipe from intake manifold to map sensor it has been trouble free. Have not made one adjustment to it since initial set up. Ran the supplied automotive platinum plugs for 12 yes until external corrosion got them. Now run long nose BLUE.
Extremely happy with this system. Only replaced RH mag. Saw a reduction of 3 litres/hr fuel consumption.
Tony Schick a
ZK-VMS
T18C

Profile Personal album  

TonyNZ
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:53 pm 

That should have been Electroair system. Damn predictive text!

Profile Personal album  

Gary Green
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:49 pm 

I really like my P-Mags. I have the earlier P113 series on the Thorp and the new P114 series on the Cub. I had an Electroair on my old T-18 (N118gg) and it the only problems I had with it were a defective (new) plug and a failed timing pickup probe. Jason Hutchinson heads a new company associated with SkyTec that is bringing out a new electronic system quite similar in looks to the P-Mag. Try to Goggle "SureFly" and take a look at it. Jason is a first class troop and won't give you a load of bullshit.

Gary Green

copterplt
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:33 pm 

Put a pare of P-mags on my plane in 2012 and could not be happier. The engine runs smoother, burns one gal less per hour and the engine starts great. As it stands now the're advanced to 34 degrees as I run mo gas , however if i had a 160 HP engine on av gas than i would move the ignition up to 39 degrees. I also got a military discount when I bought them.

Lou
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:29 am 

copterplt wrote:
Put a pare of P-mags on my plane in 2012 and could not be happier. The engine runs smoother, burns one gal less per hour and the engine starts great. As it stands now the're advanced to 34 degrees as I run mo gas , however if i had a 160 HP engine on av gas than i would move the ignition up to 39 degrees. I also got a military discount when I bought them.

Thanks for the reply. how much compression are you running? How did you move up to that much advance and not worry/test for preignition?

Profile Personal album