Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Pentzie
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:22 am 

Hi Folks

Just signed up with your site, thanks for having me, I am South African, flying for Emirates in Dubai in the Middle East, my retirement is coming up in 5 years and I am very keen to buy a aircraft that is high wing, with a stick that can do a bit of aerobatics, with a base price of max 23K US$, due to exporting which is a lot of money.

I have searched high and dry and I have narrowed it down to the PA22 and a T18, as both do not fit all of the above and aerobatics is not that important.

I was wondering before I waste your time is there a link to a first time buyer on this site before.

I am 6.2 feet tall and weight 210 pounds (95 kgs)

I need to travel with 2 people about 3 hours with 30 minute reserves, will she do it?

Kind regards

Ian

dickwolff
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:50 am 

Hi Ian - for your size and range requirements, you might be better off to consider an RV. Unfortunately, they are in a higher price range.

D

Profile Personal album  

leewwalton
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:17 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I would not sweat the size requirements we have several guys who are your size. A standard thorp may fall short of the range / reserve requirement without aux fuel though.

KEFD

Profile Personal album  

Pentzie
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:28 pm 

Thanks Lee and D, they say they can lower the seat, all I am afraid of is hitting and breaking the canopy?

The baby I am looking at has a ) 290 D (no APU) ideally I would like the o 320 but it is heavier and also it eats less gas?

Can one go 2 up for aerobatics and if so with how much fuel, this one has no neg G carb, is that a problem?

Lou Sutherland built this one, I hear he is a great builder, read the ASR a few incidents of wings coming off which scared me and also the nose dive with full flaps?

RV is out of my price range unfortunately.

Thanks for input off to bed we are GMT + 4, ciao

Ian

Doug S
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:10 am 

As I recall Lu Sunderland was no midget (of course I was a lot smaller then) .

dickwolff
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:20 am 

The boys will correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't that airplane sit, unflown, for a long time down in the Phoenix area?

Having said that, and if it's the one I'm thinking of, you stand a much better chance with one coming from a dry clime than one from a wet clime. Regardless, ... be sure to look at all of those things that become a problem when an airplane sits. ie) cam, cylinder walls, brakes, rubber, radios, hinge points, all moving parts, all non-moving parts, etc etc.

Let me also add that a pre-buy is mandatory. Don't do it yourself; you are emotionally invested. It must be done by a sharp, T18 knowledgable, impartial individual so you know exactly what you are getting in the end.

What may seem like a bargain now is no bargain if you have to put a lot more time and money into it to bring it up to modern aircraft standards. Just sayin.

d

Profile Personal album  

leewwalton
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:28 am 
Administrator
Administrator

I don't believe this is the same airplane Dick, your thinking of Lou Sunderland's actual (later folding wing) airplane. I'm not sure this one was 100% built by Lou Sunderland, the FAA shows a different manufacturer and the manufacturer date of 1984 implies it was not reregistered under a new builder. I suspect he assisted or made some components but was not the official builder.

KEFD

Profile Personal album  

Pentzie
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 12:34 pm 

HI Folks

Sorry just returned from flight to Portugal, amazing country and very cheap, Sintra is a place to take the Mrs, very beautiful!

Thanks for that info and great advise yes a pre purchase I will do, firstly a T18 ambassador in area and then a full on PPI.

I am looking at 2 X T18's they are both on brainstormers:

1. In El Paso TX, for 24 K (yellow one) has a 0-320 lyc 150HP belonging to Craig Howard.

2. In NC (white one) for belonging to Charles Littwin it has a 0 290 D (non APU) 135 HP that is 25 K $.

Is it a very difficult choose, the white one is immaculately built, the yellow one has the bigger engine (not sure of weight and fuel burn difference?)
The yellow one has better cockpit but both are very good.

I need help with the engine choose, plan to do gentle aerobatics and fly 2 hours with reserves from my home town of Plettenberg bay to Cape Town to visit Dad.

I really not sure and it is so hard getting info, without kicking tires!!

Any help will do, thanks so much.

Regards

Ian

dickwolff
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:57 am 

Listen, Ian... if you are serious about buying an airplane, you're going to have to go look at it. Most of them are immaculately built until you look close. The term "well maintained" means completely different things to different people. They all look better in pictures.

The Thorp world is pretty small. While "small" has charms and benefits, it has drawbacks too. Suffice to say that you're not going to get much feedback (especially negative feedback) on the forum regarding "a" particular airplane... that's just the way it is.

Having said that, though.... consider the one in Newton, IL.... it was restored by Lee Walton. Any airplane that's been through Lee's shop will be a fine ship.

Profile Personal album