Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Thorp lover
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:18 pm 

An S-18 would be terrific but any variant will suffice.
Just looking for a well-fabricated airplane which flies as it should.
Doesn't need any bells and whistles.
Doesn't need to be a showcase airplane.
Just sound mechanically and constructed well.

Being in Central Florida, one important consideration which a folding wing airplane lends itself to is that in the event a major a hurricane should strike and the need to evacuate arises, the airplane can be transported (in a trailer) with me and family. And even if evacuation is decided against, storing the airplane in a robust, custom trailer which can be rolled to a protected location offers me a fighting chance beyond leaving it in a flimsy hanger building which could collapse on top of the airplane if things get as bad as they can. Major hurricanes can make for very dicey situations, and the cost of being as proactive as one can be is a small price to pay with consideration of the downside potential.

Thanks to all who have offered me nothing short of fabulous assistance thus far.
Great people of the flying community are no strangers to the Thorp community, specifically.

Be well, all.

chadmaisel2
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:26 pm 

There is one in Avon Park for less than $30k- it's on barnstormers

Thorp lover
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:11 pm 

Yes, thanks. It would've been so very nice to find one in such extremely close proximity to me, but honestly, it's not the one for me.

That one is 820DD. it's set-up is a slightly heavier IO-360 A1A, 200 hp Lycoming (angled-valve cylinder heads and fuel injection), and a lighter composite propeller which likely compensates for the additional engine weight. It may or may not be nose heavy, but much, much, much, prefer metal propellers to all other types. And I don't plan on performing aerobatics much if at all, so the extra power isn't really necessary for my needs (for a good, reasonably well-mannered, means of cross-country transportation).

I appreciate the heads-up, but I'm continuing my search hoping to find one with a more standard/typical configuration.

Thanks, and pleasant flying!