Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

flyingfool
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:35 pm 

Does anyone have any historical information on the Thorp listed for sale on Barnstormers? The blue and white one with the ratray cowl listed as being from/in TX. They recently reduced the price from I believe $29K to $28K.

Based on the pictures provided, it shows both control sticks to have a bend towards the outside. Which from my novice understanding is an indication that the fuselage is a "wide body" thorp. I also did not notice any pictures that stall strips were installed on the wings. which could be easily added.

Does anyone know the original builder of this aircraft or the quality of such construction?

It is not good timing for me just yet. And would have to do a lot of persuasion with my wife to make it happen.

But with my project to build "wet" convertible (folding) wings, with an already completed center/inner section for a wide body. If this is in fact a wide body, it would provide what appears to be a flying Thorp while I finish my convertible wet wing project (which came from a tornado damaged "S-18") and I can later swap out the wings.

If the engine is solid, the price is less than I would end up putting into building up an O-320 by itself. And I could fly which is a lot more fun than just thinking and talking about it!!!!

Profile Personal album  

Hagle347
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:44 pm 

I saw the listing. The serial number is rather low which indicates and presents as an older thorp. Also has metal formed tips and the bullet counter weights. Could be a nice flier for somebody at that price point. The engine alone is worth the ask.

Profile Personal album  

flyingfool
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:14 pm 

That is my “selling point” to my wife. The flying plane is about the same price as the engine alone. And I would have to buy the engine at some point. And have a flying plane and flying project. And continue my wings. And then update the fuselage and paint with the new wings.

Makes perfect sense to me.

I think the data plate for it says 1973.

Profile Personal album