Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Fraser MacPhee
 Post subject: Mag
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:06 am 

Anybody got a low time left impulse slick mag for an 0-320 they wanna part with? Maybe a harness as well?

Serial #279-1
Angel Fire, NM (KAXX)

Profile Personal album  

dan
 Post subject: Re: Mag
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:25 pm 

What's wrong with it Frase??? It is fixable if its one of the later units.......What is doing,not doing? Dan

Fraser MacPhee
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:41 pm 

Well Dan - they are old Bendix, unknown time, need to be rebuilt, and the harnesses have arc burns - they are 3.5 lbs too heavy each and I have one low time right slick and good harness from an E-mag convert I am putting on next week - just wondered if anyone might have a L impulse low time slick they might have found while cleaning the outhouse.

Serial #279-1
Angel Fire, NM (KAXX)

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:49 pm 

I think slick mags need to be rebuilt after 500 hours ? ??? Maybe at least inspected ? :P An engine log is important .

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

Bill Williams
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:56 am 
Rich is correct, Slick mags generally go 500 hours before overhaul.
Fraze, stick with Bendix mags. I've run Bendix mags for over 40 years, rebuilt them a couple of times. In fact I carry a rebuilt one under my seat if you ever need one.
I'm not a fan of electronic mags, Take a look at the VAF web site, there pilots that swear by them and swear at them. In general they have had a lot of problems compared to the old standard mag.

dan
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:45 am 

Well Frase, the only thing I have is a set of the old non rebuildable slicks, they both work fine. I removed them just simply because they are not rebuildable and I could not reset the E-Gap on them. They have better magnets in them than my rebuildable units and they pack a whollup(whilst messing with one of em it just bit the fire outta me) I had intended on putting new points in them after a little work on the mill just never got to it. My engine log never reported a change of mags so these have been around the mountain many times and probably are the 1968 pair that came on my engine, I might even dredge up the old harness. When I decided to change em out for rebuildables I talked to Kenny at Lycon, he is always replacing Mags during overhauls and comes across very good components that would be discarded. He said give him a couple weeks and he would have a pair for me, 2-wks later, I had em. I don't think it would be civil to tell you how much I didn't pay for them, but I will say that I have bought like new lightweight starters from him,500.00 dollar units, for 175 bucks. Let me know if I can help......Will probably announce the KVIS gathering date before too much longer and you need to be there!! Dan

dickwolff
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:28 am 

Brand new Slick Just popped up on the Vans site for $800, Fras. You better Jump on it quick.

Profile Personal album  

Fraser MacPhee
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:26 pm 

Well, I ended up getting a brand new pair of slicks and new harness (and plugs) for a rather good deal off a new lyc purchased by an E-mag afficionado......the total cost would have been the same as rebuilding the bendix and I touch not mags....a cold craft beer (I'm thinking one of Chuck Kincer's "Six Feet Under" porter/stout) in my hand will tell that story......they almost made it on the plane last night until the amateur and non-soused installers realized that bendix mags use nuts and bolts, and slicks use clips......DOH!!....so we did a Bee double e, double R you N, and tonight the slick mission continues.

When pulling the bendix, it was noted that the cotter pin on the right mag was just about ready to fail - just grabbing the "ter" part made it separate from the "cot" part - it was time - also, whoever handled the drive gear at the time of last install musta used brant new sharp toothed channel locks - it took an hour of dressing and polishing to render it suitable to our liking for install. If yer gonna use channel locks to muscle a $250 part, at least use wood to clamp to it!!

Also, if anyone has a KT-76 transponder....must be part number 066-1034-00 that werks but is collecting dust, I will gladly pay you Tuesday, for a slide in replacement transponder today. Can hook up at OSH as well - don't need it to get there in formation - It appears I've bin sneakin around the bravo with nothing under the kilt for a cupla weeks. Found one on BS, but they won't return my calls.

Serial #279-1
Angel Fire, NM (KAXX)

Profile Personal album  

Jeff Blanton
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:22 pm 

The gaskets are different too. Make sure you use the ring style, or the mag could get loose.

Fraser MacPhee
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:31 pm 

Oh yeahyoobetcha - new gaskets all around - the ring gaskets are for the slicks on both sides and then the "shoulder/bolster/spacer (what do you guys call that thing?) gasket" (with the flanges/ bolt holes) on the impulse coupled left mag is getting replaced as well.

Serial #279-1
Angel Fire, NM (KAXX)

Profile Personal album  

Fraser MacPhee
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:04 pm 

Found Y-Tagged slide in replacement X-ponder - the lady finally returned my call - said some Bill guy told her I was a "deviant" - doo here next Tuesday.

Serial #279-1
Angel Fire, NM (KAXX)

Profile Personal album