Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 7:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

dcuke
 Post subject: wheel pant install
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:39 pm 

I am curious as to how the outside of the wheel pants are secured to the wheel axle. My wheels are held in place onto the axle by a large nut and a cotter pin. Does anyone out there have the same setup? If so, I would love to know how you have your wheel pants secured. If you have any suggestions or pics, I would greatly appreciate some direction for a solution.

KVIS

Bill Williams
 Post subject: Re: wheel pant install
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:56 pm 
Try to answer; My axle has a 1/4" hole drilled from the brake side through the gearleg into the hollow part of the axle. I used two short cotter pins to hold the nut in place rather than one long pin. I machined an aluminum standoff that extends out from the axle to takeup the space between the end of the axle and the wheel pant. This standoff has two flat sides to allow clearance of the cotter pins, when inserted into the axle. Drilled a 1/4" hole through the standoff. I riveted a nut plate to a top hat and fibreglassed it to the inside of the wheel pant. With a extra long AN4 bolt inserted from the brake side through the gearleg, axle, standoff and into the nut plate. Long AN4 bolts are hard to come by, I made mine by welding a nut to a length of 4130 rod, This AN bolt is 7 or 8" long.

leewwalton
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:57 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I have the standard nut with a U welded on it. The U has a nutplate riveted to it, I go in through the wheel pant from the outside with a flush -3 screw and finishing washer. I riveted a piece of 0.040 on the inside of the pant around the hole as well to keep from having fiberglass to metal contact.

KEFD

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:08 pm 

I have the 550 x 5 standard axel with a wheel pant stub. End is tapped for a 1/4 x 28 screw/bolt. Like Bill I cut an aluminum spacer to fit between the axle and the pant. I put a doubler on the inside of the pant and on the outside and run a 1/4 screw with a star lock washer thru the spacer into the tapped hole in the axel.
Attachment:
Final painting 001.jpg
Final painting 001.jpg [ 1.36 MiB | Viewed 4991 times ]
Attachment:
Copy of All the major pieces installed 001.jpg
Copy of All the major pieces installed 001.jpg [ 1.04 MiB | Viewed 4991 times ]
From the one pic of the unpainted pant you can see the rivets for the doubler which is also part of the small access door I use to access the tire valve stem. With almost 80 hours on the "new pants" the attach screw has remained tight.

RB

Profile Personal album  

dcuke
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:55 am 

Thanks guys for the great suggestions. These ideas are finally getting the gears in my head turning.

KVIS