Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Wed Aug 14, 2024 2:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

dan
 Post subject: Flat tire on landing
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:20 pm 

Well, I put the new Tube in the pilot side Main gear tire yesterday. Upon installation I paid particular attention to clearances, Just in case somthing was able to catch the Valve stem and break it or crack it. I could find nothing, no bolts sticking through the pant mount or anything that could slap the valve stem. I did find that the gear shook so violently it bent the upper cuff, mine are 5052 alum. Also, one of my brake line fittings had been shook loose. The shake was very violent to say the least, so I removed both cheeks to see if all was intact and nothing was hanging loose, all appeared to be just fine. I will be monitoring all of the workings of the airframe for awhile and looking at this and that to make sure all is well. I went flying, made two landings and all is just fine. I put the failed tube in the trash, but I am thinking I will retrieve it as it would make a good topic, show and tell, for a flyin. Ira, and myself seem to think it is a faulty tube, but it was in the tire for more than 3years. Any and all comments would be appreciated as this is a mystery thus far.........Dan

James Grahn
 Post subject: Re: Flat tire on landing
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:13 pm 

Having never heard of a stem failure as you describe, I'm going with faulty tube. Glad it happened at home plate.
Cubes

Profile Personal album