Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Savalas
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:31 am 

does anybody have a procedure for aligning the mains?

Jim Mantyla
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:34 am 

I used a string and a carpenter's square. I started by tying the string across the front of the tires. The string is tied to the wheel nuts. I place the square on the side of the tires horizontally and on the string. For zero toe in the square should contact both the string and tire sides. If it doesn't then shim the axle where it contacts the gear leg. To check the camber just place the square on the floor and the side of the tire where there is no bottom bulge.

Jim

Jeff J
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:44 am 

I did similar but I also snapped a chalk line down the center of the airplane to check that the wheels were staying parallel to the fuselage. I don’t know what others are using for shims. My builder used the wheel pants bracket which I removed with the wheel pants he had. I cut my shims on the milling machine out of steel plate.

"The joke in aviation is, 'If you want to make a million, you'd better start with £10m.' " -Bruce Dickinson

Profile Personal album  

bfinney
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:34 pm 

For shims, used a piece of aluminum from your after flight cold drink can, it's on the order of 0.004" thick, I needed two layers under just two of the bolts on one axle to set the toe-in. Or Spruce has taper shims https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/lgpages/tapershim.php?clickkey=3020554. Personally I like the price of the home made ones myself. 8)

N18JF T-18C #262
Yelm, WA USA

Profile Personal album  

Jeff J
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:25 pm 

I needed quite a bit more than what a person could get from a can. I think it would have been on the order of 25 layers at the thickest corner.

"The joke in aviation is, 'If you want to make a million, you'd better start with £10m.' " -Bruce Dickinson

Profile Personal album  

James Grahn
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:29 am 

There is a paper I wrote on the subject somewhere on this sight. It involves making aluminum and grease sandwiches so the gear relax. Also, you need to make sure you have the weight that is normally in the plane, in the plane. I recommend using a cheap laser pointer. You can put it on the brake disk and shine it on the floor in front of the plane for a very accurate measuring tool. Also, remember that the motor is NOT on centerline. Do not hang a plumb bob off the spinner.
Cubes

Profile Personal album  

jtwigg
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:28 pm 

I bought one of the aircraft spruce 500x5 taper shims three years ago and am just now getting around to installing it for this year's conditional. I think it is 1/2 degree but will check the part number when I get back to the airport. Here's a picture of what the Aircraft Spruce shim looks like...

Profile Personal album  

pmandel
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:37 am 

My mechanic and I went round and round hypothesizing how to fix my alignment based on my multiple complaints of the airplane wanting to drift left (a lot!) on landing as well as the highly uneven tire wear on the left tire. After considering the laser idea, snap line, and everything else, Mr. A&P/IA suggested we just use a chunk of aluminum from a soda can as suggested by Bruce Finney previously, and place it so as to counter the obvious caster or camber error (I forget which) based on the observed outside-of-the-tire excess wear. Badda-BING, perfection. The left turning drift disappeared such that I could take a nap after a wheel landing until she slowed down enough for me to put the tailwheel down. Hundreds of hours since then on new tires, both of which wore as evenly as could possibly be deciphered on visual inspection until all treads were too thin, now another set of new tires that are also wearing evenly. KISS, and let us know how you make out with the shim(s).

Beaverton OR