Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Sun Sep 01, 2024 6:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

WISC
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:25 am 

I have spoken to 4 Thorp owners. I have asked about the short field characteristics of the Thorp T-18 on a short field and more important on a grass strip. The strip is not the smoothest.

Their answers are 50/50. Half say it is no problem on the short field. The other say they are not comfortable unless it is at least 2000 feet. The strip is 1600 feet. Also 50/50 on the rough field characteristics. The answers range from: it will be OK, the gear are to stiff, and it will rattle your teeth. Two of them recommended the RV aircraft.

Anyone else want to chime in? I am looking at RV's but generally speaking the Thorps are less expensive.

thank you

Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

leewwalton
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:36 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Short Field, depends on the airplane (the weight in particular). A VERY light 800-825 lb Thorp will marginally operate out of a 1600 ft strip but to be that light you're looking at a pretty stripped down airplane. As soon as your start adding goodies (weight) to the airplane you'll outgrow that short field in a hurry.

Rough field, The T-18 is not a rough field airplane. You can put 600X6 wheels/tires on there to help but that only goes so far (and doesn't do much for aesthetics). The T-18 has a very nice stiff (and strong) main gear but it does no favors on rough fields.

My advise, if you're looking for an RV then find an RV that fits your budget. A Thorp is not an RV (it's better ... and worse depending on your requirements). I talk/e-mail with a half dozen RV lookers/buyers a month who are enticed by the Thorp for it's price. Some are a good fit, but based on the 1600 ft requirement it sounds to me like you're better off in an RV, that's where they shine (the Thorp has the top end).

KEFD

Last edited by admin on Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album  

fytrplt
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:11 am 

As a flight instructor and Thorp owner, the T-18 is NOT the airplane you are looking for in this application. The Thorp is a high speed, short wing plane that operates best off of paved surfaces. Do yourself and the potential airplane a favor and consider something more attuned to your requirements.

KLAL

Last edited by admin on Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album  

WISC
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:47 pm 

Thank you guys for the honest replies.

Last edited by admin on Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.