Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Rich Brazell
 Post subject: Formation flight
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:08 pm 

I can still remember my first night solo formation flight as a SNA (Student Naval Aviator) at Mc Cain Field (NAS Meridian, MS. 1977). Not only was it my first night solo formation flight, I also drew the lucky card to fly with a new IP (under instruction) in the lead A/C...the XO of the squadron ! Brief went as planned as did the takeoff and rendezvous. All was going well until I noticed I was using more power than normal to maintain position ? Pulling a little more G than normal too ? Well...I was the student and nothing was going to keep me from breaking formation with the XO ! Finally we were straight and level and headed into the break. Landing and taxi in were ops normal.

Now for the debrief. I got all above averages from the XO ! Not only had I completed all the standard night solo formation objectives, but a few the XO threw in...NOT IN THE BRIEF ! They included barrel rolls, a loop and a wing over. OH MY ! The instructor pilot in the XO's back seat was also impressed, but frowned upon the improvising from the XO and not breifing the maneuvers prior to the flight. I also believe I used up an entire LOX converter of O2 on that flight !

Proper planning and briefing by all players involved in formation flying is critical. It may have been luck or skill or both in my case !

RB
NX115RX

Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album