Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2024 8:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

fytrplt
 Post subject: Oshkosh 2014
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:24 pm 

I was talking to one of the main volunteers for homebuilt parking at OSH, today. He showed me the preliminary layout for parking the different types. The T-18s will be in essentially the same place as last year. After the past award winners and "vintage" homebuilts, they are parking the Glasairs as you work your way south. This is due to Glasair's 40th anniversary. Then come the T-18s and Tailwinds.

He said it would be real helpful if we gave them a rough number of Thorps so we could be grouped together. I told him we are not adversed to tailing in and gave a request to be next to the road rather than closer to the flightline.

Who is planning to be there so I can try to get us the best accommodation. N30WW and N711SH are going to be there.

KLAL

Profile Personal album  

david read
 Post subject: Re: Oshkosh 2014
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:03 pm 

N718DR will be there all week

jrevens
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:08 am 

I'll be there the whole week too. I'm still concerned about the last 3 days with the Thunderbirds. If we're West of the light poles we'll be in the middle of probably the most concentrated crowds ever. As far as moving to the area west of the RVs (basically homebuilt camping) on Thursday afternoon, that area may still be very full at that time. I'm still thinking about just parking over there from the git go. I know that probably doesn't appeal to many, but there is not a lot of foot traffic over there & there are usually 1 or 2 Thorps over there each year. It's kind of nice to not have to really worry about the airplane much at all. I haven't made up my mind yet.

T-18 N71JE (sold)
Kitfox 7 SS N27JE

Bill Williams
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:06 am 
I'm thinking, park west of the speaker poles the first of the week and when the Tbirds fly move out to the other side of the speaker poles east near the old show line, hopefully enough planes will have left leaving open spaces. The area east of the poles should be sterial of people. Jeremy is a voluteer and will look out for us in parking our planes. He also indicated that the speaker pole walkway has been increased to 35 feet for car traffic.

ronald hayes
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:19 pm 

Bob
Just blew another front crank seal in the thorp, so we will not be flying in this year.

Blue Springs, Mo.

Profile Personal album  

fytrplt
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:17 pm 

Sorry to hear that, Ron. I'm sure you have checked the obvious, such as blocked vent tube and excessive blow-by.

KLAL

Profile Personal album  

ronald hayes
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:59 am 

Yep, I have checked and found the seal had been spinning since the overhaul years ago. I do not think the shop had it sealed correctly and now the case has been worn to the point the seal will not hold. We tried an oversize seal and it did not work. I think it will be a teardown and case weld/machine work. Bummer

Blue Springs, Mo.

Profile Personal album  

leewwalton
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:15 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

All, I just got off the phone with Charlie Becker at EAA. He's put in a request that we be parked down where we were last year North of the Brown Arch. He also reminded me that the USAF Thunderbirds are performing Friday and Saturday only, they only arrive on Thursday. As most of us leave on Saturday morning that really gives us just one day to be concerned about. I agree with Bill's approach, by Friday the planes will be thin, we can relocate East of the speaker poles that day and our planes will be in a sterile environment.

I plan to arrive Sunday as a flight with N718DR and N27DW. The Forum is 1:00 Wednesday, Dinner is Friday at 7:30, at the Roxy, there will be Thorps in the Flyby again this year as well.

I will be sending out updates if anything changes.

KEFD

Profile Personal album  

dickwolff
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:20 pm 

Does that qualify as a mass arrival?

Profile Personal album  

jrevens
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:55 pm 

leewwalton wrote:
... He also reminded me that the USAF Thunderbirds are performing Friday and Saturday only, they only arrive on Thursday. As most of us leave on Saturday morning that really gives us just one day to be concerned about. I agree with Bill's approach, by Friday the planes will be thin, we can relocate East of the speaker poles that day and our planes will be in a sterile environment.

I'll be there through the last Sunday as I have for the last few years. That gives me 3 days to be concerned about. I've had friends whose names have been added to the Memorial Wall, and that ceremony is Sunday. The Thunderbirds are scheduled to perform Friday, Saturday & Sunday. That being said, I think the plan to move East on Thursday afternoon is probably a good one, if there are actually empty spaces in that area then. I won't feel too bad if I do decide to park in the area West of the RVs - a few other Thorps don't park right with the main group of us every year anyway. I used to think that was a travesty... it doesn't bother me much anymore. Many of us could park over in front of homebuilt headquarters (over 1000 hours, over 20 years, past Grand Champions, etc.), and Thorps within our close group have parked there, away from the main core. I never have. I think that it's good for the design to continue to stake a claim to the flight line area, and stick together, but I don't know if I want to be there this year yet.

T-18 N71JE (sold)
Kitfox 7 SS N27JE

leewwalton
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:27 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

John you and your airplane have represented the Thorp breed for decades! I'm sure this goes without saying, and this goes for all of us, put your plane where you feel comfortable! They're all irreplaceable! Yours more so than the rest of us! As long as we have you hanging out with us (I hope I can speak for the OSH attendees) .. Were all good!!!

KEFD

Profile Personal album  

jrevens
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:07 pm 

Thank you for the very kind words, Lee. My airplane is 24 years old now, with basically the original paint, and battle scars. I still love it, & I love the Thorp group. But there are so many more beautiful Thorps, and every one is at least as important to their owner/builder and to most of the rest of us, as mine is to me. The quality of the builds & re-builds just keeps getting better & better. This should have probably been a private message, but I want the group to know how I feel. I appreciate the compliment... thank you.

T-18 N71JE (sold)
Kitfox 7 SS N27JE

dan
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:37 pm 

I agree with the 2of ya, ........Dan