Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Tue Sep 03, 2024 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

fytrplt
 Post subject: Landing the the T-18
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:43 am 

Just came back from a breakfast run with my good friend and copilot, Susan (T-18 wife) (mine).

I had been having some not so smooth landings lately, so I really concentrated on making it good. First landing, not great, but passable. Second one -- a greaser! The difference: I carried a little power through the touchdown then reduced to idle on the rollout. When I say a little , I mean not more than 150 rpm , or so. If this is familiar, it's because that's what I preach to anyone who will listen; I just forgot to tell myself.

I have a pretty reduced idle, about 550 rpm after warm-up. This is to reduce the landing roll. I may have to bump that up a bit.

The reason for this narative is: If I can get rusty with over 2400 hrs of Thorp time, you might want to look at your technique and proficiency, as well.

KLAL

Profile Personal album  

dan
 Post subject: Re: Landing the the T-18
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:42 pm 

Hi Bob, I sure enjoy my copilot on breakfast runs also Bob, she sits there lookin perty and chats with me as the scenery goes by, 25 years and we still have the best of conversations. Not only that, but she bucked about every rivet in my Fuse !!! Ira and I were out shooting landings today for a bit,you are right, got a little rusty. Flying weather will be here and the fog will be gone,we will brush up...DAN

Lou
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:51 pm 

You guys are lucky! I

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:32 pm 

Dan: When does the Tule Fog set in ? I remember it when I was at KNLC. Pretty much zero, zero for most of the day ? ??? I think we should all fly up to KLAS and camp out at "Cubes" for a week of landing practice ! Use the Cuber's car, food and hot water ! ::)

RB

Profile Personal album  

dan
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:56 pm 

We have had a little fog this year but not like it has been in the past. Supposed to be nice here this weekend, won't be long and I will be able to get out and then we can barge in on Cubes. we need to get a bunch together to do this....Dan

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:46 pm 

Dan: Sounds like a plan. I would really like to get one of the $1.00 shrimp cocktails, $1.00 hot dogs and $1.00 beers at LAS, maybe they have gone up at bit since I was there in 1997 ? ??? Cubes has the "Secret Hand Shake" and I know he can get us the "really good" deals on the strip ! :P All I need is a warm rack and hot shower at his place ! :))

RB

Profile Personal album  

Lou
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:14 pm 

I would be down for that, Provided it

Profile Personal album  

dan
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:35 pm 

Hi Lou, Congrats on your Thorp so sorry I'm late in sayin it. You are welcome at any and all events as far as I am concerned and that's a good lookin thorp also. You have Thorps all around you here in Calif, we are going to have another KVIS Gathering this year Probably around Sept,Put it on your Calender. The wife and I are going to try to make the Fredricksburg Texas gathering this year along with some of the other renegades here in Calif ( Lee, has the date been set?) so keep this one in mind also. There are a lot events in CA during the year that some of us attend. Welcome to the Family Lou!!! Dan

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:03 am 

Can't wait to fly to TX during the Tornado Magnet season ! For those that are unaware...a Tornado Magnet is a Mobile Home attracted to a black funnel cloud !

RB

Profile Personal album  

Bill Williams
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:54 am 
Rich, tornado's are not a problem with Thorp's. One tangled with my Thorp last year at Sun n Fun and the Thorp won, kinda. Lost a tail in the fight.

jrevens
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:30 pm 

I know what you mean Bob... just when you think that you've got the formula memorized, you forget a key ingredient! I usually like to hold about 1500 rpm on base & final, but then pull it all off over the numbers. My airplane settles right in nice & slick, wheelie or 3-point, but I've got different wing tips than you do, & I can guarantee you I get noticeably more ground effect with them than the originals.

There's been a lot of crappy flying weather in Colorado, for months it seems... more wind than I remember for quite a few years. Gusts close to 100 mph at our airport a couple of weeks ago. It gives me more time to work on my Kitfox project.

John Evens
T-18 N71JE
Kitfox 7 SS N27JE
Arvada, CO

dan
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:42 pm 

Hi John, I have the fiberglass version of those tips, I agree with your ground effect statement. I have to cut its throat long before the numbers or I get this float that seems to go forever, with one notch of flaps. I used Iras fancy little camera and did a video of a pattern and this little camera caught all of the numbers, I was surprised at what I saw on the video. Came in very flat, over the numbers at 80 and airspeed falling fast 1 notch flaps, and floated to beat the band. The mains touched just below 60 mph,carried the tail for a ways and then it sat down. I always wondered about that float, and those wingtips. I gave a buddy a ride in the Thorp, he flys a Debonair, a nice one. First thing he did when he got out of the cockpit was look and look at the airframe. He said and I quote"this thing has got to be making a bunch of lift somewhere other than that little wing". He is 6ft3 and will go about 240, and he was shocked at the landing speed!!! Good wing tips, that they are...Dan

fytrplt
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:06 am 

One thing I might add here is that I have a constant speed prop -- 72". When it is in flat pitch and windmilling, it is a BIG speed brake! So carrying a bit of power may be putting me more in the realm of the highly pitched fixed units. Those tips have fascinated me for years and some day I might have to build a metal set.

KLAL

Profile Personal album