Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2024 10:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Lou
 Post subject: Spin on oil filter
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:08 pm 

Does anybody know if a know Casper Labs 90 degree oil filter housing will fit on an O360 in a Thorp T-18?

Profile Personal album  

Bill Williams
 Post subject: Re: Spin on oil filter
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:46 pm 
Don't think these are apples to apples. The Lycoming oil filter adapter has a built in Vernitherm and car adapters don't. Also would question the bolt pattern.
I would think you would need a Lycoming oil filter adapter, a remote mount kit for a car that has 3/4" pipe threads. The car adapter would screw on to back of the Lycoming adapter eliminating the filter, mount the remote filter adapter on the firewall and connect with Aeroquip hoses, install a cheap car filter (FL1) after all you can save 10 dollars and worry if the filter is going to burst. Use AC grade and be done with it.

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:04 pm 

Lou: I think the Casper adapter will fit . From the pics in the Spruce catalog it appears the Casper does have the ability to accept a vernitherm valve and oil temp sensor ? When my 0-360 Aero Sport engine came it had the 90 degree adapter on it. I could not fit an oil filter on it without interferring with the engine mount. I had them send me a straight adapter and still even with a "short" Champion filter it would not clear the engine mount ? Not sure why ? I wanted to installed a remote filter so this did work out when I installed the Canton (auto) adapter (as Bill suggested) onto the straight engine adapter ( a 90 degree may also work) and ran SS braided oil line with Aero Quip fittings to my remote Canton filter. Try Mattitucks.com They have the Lycoming adapters also.

RB

Profile Personal album  

N89BJ
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:16 pm 
Lou,
My bet is on the Casper Labs NOT working. I have spent a bunch of time checking into this and ended up with an AirWolf setup. The only other option that I think might work would be one of B&C Specialties oil filter adapers.

fytrplt
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:19 pm 

I use the Air Wolf and it works. Nice folks to do business with. They will be at Sun 'n Fun next week as well.

KLAL

Profile Personal album  

Tim Brown
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:36 am 

I use a K&N HP1009 spin on oil filter. Its a tight fit between the filter and engine mount but it works.
I have the standard Lycoming oil filter adapter, it faces straight back out of the top of the case between the mags (O-320-E2D).
A couple years ago I purchased a B&C 90 degree adapter that I never used... its for sale if anyone wants it.

Profile Personal album  

Lou
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:47 am 

Tim, can you say the overall height of your filter? My engine came back from the shop with the factory straight filter adapter on it and the short filter. It interferes with the

Profile Personal album  

Tim Brown
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:58 am 

Here is the info from K&N

Attachments:
1009.JPG
1009.JPG [ 95.05 KiB | Viewed 14637 times ]
 Profile Personal album  

Lou
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:00 pm 

Tim you rock! That filter should fit and it's a heavy duty racing filter with a safety wire tie so it should be fine.

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:22 pm 

I had the same problem with the filter hitting the engine mount so I went the remote route which is what I really wanted to do. Here is a pic of my Lycoming straight filter adapter and my
Race Car adapter to attach the holes to the filter/cooler.

Lou: I believe several people use the K & N filter and you will hear both positive and negative comments regarding the filter. I thought about using the K & N (around $10-15 each) but looking at the cost difference when you buy a case discount of Tempest/Champion filters I went with the time trusted aviaiton filter. For a few dollars more I sleep better putting a Tempest filter (has a magnet in the can) on my zero time engine.

Attachment:
IMAG0002.JPG
IMAG0002.JPG [ 430.24 KiB | Viewed 14634 times ]
Attachment:
IMAG0001.JPG
IMAG0001.JPG [ 367.3 KiB | Viewed 14634 times ]

The only thing I added to the Race Car adapter was drilling a safety wire hole in the brass attach bolt.

RB
Attachment:
S-18 engine mounting, flaps, aileron,aileron trim 041.jpg
S-18 engine mounting, flaps, aileron,aileron trim 041.jpg [ 615.74 KiB | Viewed 14634 times ]

Having the remote filter sure makes the oil changes a lot easier also !

RB

Profile Personal album  

Tim Brown
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:24 pm 

Lou wrote:
Tim you rock! That filter should fit and it's a heavy duty racing filter with a safety wire tie so it should be fine.

I had a look at the flow rate and pressure rating for the K&N and I was impressed....its a HEAVY DUTY filter. I bought a lot of 10 for $6 each on fleabay :)

Profile Personal album  

davem
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:19 pm 

The B&C and Casper Labs 90 degree oil filter adapters are virtually identical and will fit O-360s. However, you will have to modify the engine mount for the oil filter. Bill Cordoza's and my Thorps both have the same modification, which is a part round section welded in the mount tube so that it "bends" around the oil filter. Bill's has been flying that way for more than 10 years and 500 hours, mine for about a year and a half and 100 hours. I don't know if that little racing oil filter will fit under the mount tube, but if it does that would be a good solution too. Bill and I use the standard Champion aircraft oil filters.
Dave M

Attachments:
File comment: Casper labs Oil filter adapter--you can see the modified engine mount tube behind the filter.
DSC02240.JPG
DSC02240.JPG [ 2.07 MiB | Viewed 14626 times ]

davem
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:27 pm 

Oh, and a couple of additional notes. Both the B&C and Casper Labs adapters are set up for a vernitherm to be installed, as well as a port for an oil temperature sensor. The best part about these adapters is that when doing an oil change, you poke a little hole with a stiff scribe in the top of the oil filter, and let it drain for a few hours (I usually let it sit overnight). Then when you remove the oil filter, there is only a couple of drops of oil on the flange of the adapter--no oil getting on your engine or anything else. There is just enough so that you can take a finger and use it to lubricate the seal of the new filter you are installing. That's it.

Dave M

dan
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:51 pm 

I have an 0320E2D, it was manufactured in 1968, it has never been opened up as I do have the log books. All ADs have been answered through the years and it was clean when I got it. The screens are clean every time I check them and the oil between changes just does get tinted in color enough to see that it has been used, I change it every 25hrs,asper the log book entries. It has never had an oil filter,I know that someday it will have to have a top end, but at 2300 hrs the old lycasaurus still runs like a top.I hope the day it gets opened I can put it back together and have the same reliability factor that it has now. It will burn a quart give or take between changes.....Dan

Lou
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:39 pm 

Thanks for all the info guys. I decided to keep it simple, and the K&N seems to be up to the job. Besides I hear

Attachments:
100_2190.JPG
100_2190.JPG [ 1 MiB | Viewed 14570 times ]
100_2189.JPG
100_2189.JPG [ 1.06 MiB | Viewed 14570 times ]