Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2024 1:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:09 pm 

Lee: Did you "curve" the bottom of the panel like in the plans ? I suppose that is to keep from cutting off your legs at the knees ! I found a HYVAC shop with a HUGE hydraulic press that put the "curve" on the bottom of my panel . When the young man found out the panel was for an aircraft, he didn't even charge me ! O0

RB

Profile Personal album  

leewwalton
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:13 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Hey RB ... Short answer is no, the leg-panel clearance is pretty significant as you know. I've only seen a half dozen or so airplanes (thorps) that actually have the radius on the panel. I suspect that was more about bending a meaty piece of alum rather than knee protection.

KEFD

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:31 pm 

Lee: Have to disagree . There maybe "adequate" clearance during flight, but in the event of an off field landing I would rather have the "curved" panel than a straight edge of .090 across my knees ! :o The bend is probably impossible to do at home . I think the only way you can do it is with a LARGE hydraulic press . It took me many weeks to find someone that could do it, but I am glad I did . I can understand why JT put it in the plans. ;)

RB

Profile Personal album  

Bill Williams
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:57 am 
Ive made several from .063 2024-T3 for builders just like Lee's and made the radius bend on the bottom on my brake in the shop...it's all in setback. I agree with Rich, no sharp edges in from of me. Ninety thousandth seems a little heavy. which I would use 5052 aluminum and it will make that bend. The panel will seem flimmzy with the panel cutouts, but after the instruments are installed it will tighten up

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:43 am 

Another idea, admittedly heavier, is to run a piece of angle across the bottom that is flush with the bottom of the panel. Thats what I ended up doing and ran a hinge all the way across the bottom (of the backside) of the panel.

Profile Personal album  

dan
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:56 am 

I had to do that also Ray, by the time I installed my engine instrument panel cut about half in two with the 2in holes. I formed me and angle out of .090 5052 and ran along the bottom of the panel. The leg of the angle that goes back under the panel made a good shelf to tie the wiring to. I had some pics of it on the old website, would post them here but I lost the hard drive on my old computer along with all of my old pics of the build. My panel was a pain to set up, the ends of it are curved and this was a royal pain........Dan

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:51 am 

Bill: I looked at the plans again and it sez .091 2024 . O0

RB

Profile Personal album  

fytrplt
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:22 pm 

That's where the bonded second piece comes in. Bend the .063, bond on a second maybe .040 and you get it all. That is how my panel is made. Leave off as many of the sharp corners as possible in the cockpit area.

KLAL

Profile Personal album  

leewwalton
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:47 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Yeah guys, I agree the radius on the lower panel is "safer" but I can think of only a handful of thorps that actually have it. For that matter I'm having a hard time thinking of anything I've flown , production or homebuilt that have a rounding lower edge. Either way it can't hurt!

KEFD

Profile Personal album  

leewwalton
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:51 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Yeah guys, I agree the radius on the lower panel is "safer" but I can think of only a handful of thorps that actually have it. For that matter I'm having a hard time thinking of anything I've flown , production or homebuilt that have a rounding lower edge. Either way it can't hurt!

KEFD

Profile Personal album  

jrevens
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:45 pm 

fytrplt wrote:
That's where the bonded second piece comes in. Bend the .063, bond on a second maybe .040 and you get it all. That is how my panel is made. Leave off as many of the sharp corners as possible in the cockpit area.

That's exactly what I did too, Bob.

Great minds think alike... I wish I could remember who thought of that for me! O0 <--(I know that's Rich Brazell's logo, but I like it too!) ;)

T-18 N71JE (sold)
Kitfox 7 SS N27JE

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:45 pm 

Not my Logo...it belongs to the "Mod Squad !" You are probably to young to remember that show ! O0

RB

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:58 pm 

I don't recall seeing this "Bonding Process" in ANY of the NL's ? SECRET NORFORN ?

RB

Profile Personal album  

jrevens
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:34 pm 

Rich Brazell wrote:
Not my Logo...it belongs to the "Mod Squad !" You are probably to young to remember that show ! O0

RB

I do remember Linc! O0

Notice how I'm building my "post" count? I've been studying Fraser and you! Now I'm a "Full Member"!!! 8)

T-18 N71JE (sold)
Kitfox 7 SS N27JE

Bill Williams
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:57 am 
Lee, you flew with me at KD and I forgot to inform you the bottom of my instrument panel has a radius during pre flight, sorry.
Rich, I think JT used .090 because back in the 70's most instruments needed to be shouck mounted. Rule of thumb, "If you throw it up into the air and it comes back down, it's not an airplane part". The RV's panel are .063

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next