Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2024 12:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
fytrplt
 Post subject: Re: Spin on oil filter
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:26 am 

The Tempast 108-2 filter that I use is shorter than the comparable Champion model but contians the same amount or more fliter media than the Champion. This is according to the manufacturer. The ticker walls and better crimp on the aviation filters result in a much higher burst pressure than the automotive types. Lycoming aircraft engines run at much higher oil presure than the modern race car engine with much thicker oil. The Tempast filters also include a magnet to trap any ferris debris. I use 'em.

KLAL

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:10 am 

I am with you Bill and like Bob I use the Tempest filter . I buy a case from Spruce and with the 10% case discount it works out to be about $14.00 per filter . I believe the K & N runs $10.00 + ? O0

RB

Profile Personal album  

jrevens
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:41 pm 

Rich Brazell wrote:
I would test the oil on a mid time engine(new or zero time) just to see how things are going...assuming all things have been normal up to that point . If you are seeing unusual metal frags in the oil or filter at the oil change (at any hour on the Hobbs) , then I would bottle up a sample and ship it out . I am a firm believer in changing the oil sooner than the factory recommends. I also a firm believer in using the LARGEST oil filter that will fit (more filter area). A larger filter means additional oil for cooling. O0

RB

Most "experts" will tell you that it's important to establish a baseline, and then look for subtle changes over time with regular samples at each oil change, indicating impending problems. When you start seeing part numbers on your frags, it's too late.

T-18 N71JE (sold)
Kitfox 7 SS N27JE

jrevens
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:12 pm 

Bill Williams wrote:
I must chime in here, sorry. I have not figured out why some one would put an UN approved car filter on their 30 thousand dollar investment to save 5 bucks. I guess is Experimental ..........

In my case, I tried to explain it , Bill. Nothing was available in a direct-mounted spin-on adapter, or short enough filters at the time. Lycoming filters didn't have built-in bypass (guess I could've used a Continental filter). Did the testing, found out the filter chosen actually had greater filter surface area than the aircraft unit, and construction & burst strength were equal or better. Plus, it was a pretty cool thing to "build your own" like I did. You know all about that with some of the things you have done with your Thorp... these are "Experimental" machines. Additionally, my filter set-up has worked beautifully for over 20 years, and I've saved weight, eliminated extra hoses & additional potential leaks, have more space in my engine compartment, and had much cleaner oil changes than the Lycoming horizontally oriented unit allowed at the time. My engine seems to like it - it still uses a quart of oil in 25 hours after over 1200 hours, and I like it too. I saw guys using what I considered to be inferior filters, and decided to do it "right". It wasn't just to save 5 bucks a shot (it was a lot more than that at the time), but that was an additional advantage... sort of like you using those antique, "boat-anchor" magnetos. Sorry, but I'm kind of proud of it and using the filter that I do. Oh, and by the way, I bought my brand-new engine from Lycoming through Dick Wagner at Wag-Aero for $5,140. ;D

T-18 N71JE (sold)
Kitfox 7 SS N27JE

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:20 pm 

I guess we've been down this oil filter/adapter/remote road a few times before ! ??? I know what I like and prefer and that's what I am sticking to. Everyone is going to have a preference as to what kind of oil they use , a particular kind of filter , remote or no remote , adapter or no adapter . "I'll take the High Road and you take the Low Road" and somewhere in between we will meet ! If it works and you feel comfortable using it, go for it ! BOOM ! O0

RB

Profile Personal album  

SHIPCHIEF
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:00 am 

What do I know? I'm still using the oil strainer and "velocity valve" oil cooler set up!!
In fact, it's winter, and time to put in the air flow restricted to get the oil temp up!!
I would like a filter, but I don't care for the Vernatherm. I might make a cable controlled air shutter, or valve in the oil line to the cooler so I can have cockpit control...
I'm dreaming of a fitting for remote hoses that replaces the strainer & temp sensor housing, then a remote filter base. The continuous debate may eventually determine which spin on element I choose. ::)

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:28 pm 

I did install an air control valve to avoid using duct tape and cardboard and I can control it from the cockpit. You can buy one from Avery Tools for $60.00 or make your own . I made mine for about $5.00 . O0

RB
Attachment:
1070.jpg
1070.jpg [ 5.7 KiB | Viewed 12057 times ]

Profile Personal album  

jrevens
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:32 pm 

SHIPCHIEF wrote:
What do I know? I'm still using the oil strainer and "velocity valve" oil cooler set up!!
In fact, it's winter, and time to put in the air flow restricted to get the oil temp up!!
I would like a filter, but I don't care for the Vernatherm. I might make a cable controlled air shutter, or valve in the oil line to the cooler so I can have cockpit control...
I'm dreaming of a fitting for remote hoses that replaces the strainer & temp sensor housing, then a remote filter base. The continuous debate may eventually determine which spin on element I choose. ::)

I think that Airwolf makes something like that, Scott. If it's not exactly what you want, it would be easy to make one out of a thick piece of aluminum plate.

There are several good filter options, but as I said before, if I was doing it over, I'd go with an approved aircraft filter with a built-in bypass. What we couldn't get then is available now. Probably one of the main reasons is because I'm getting tired of having to explain & defend my choices a hundred times, and I know everyone else is too. I have no problem however with any one of several auto filters I've seen, including the ones I use. If they're good enough for $100,000+ race cars which do run high-pressure/ high volume oil pumps, they're good enough for me.

T-18 N71JE (sold)
Kitfox 7 SS N27JE

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:54 pm 

Thank you John ! I thought were going to have to post the entire history of the oil filter including the one that used a roll of toilet paper (Frantz?) ! I think it actually worked pretty well .

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

SHIPCHIEF
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:16 am 

I was so curious about toilet paper filters that I bought a Frantz, and also modified a Motorgard (no longer marketed for oil, they are used as the final air filter for car painters)
The Frantz cast aluminum housing seems a bit flimzy, the Morotgard has a plasitc tube inside.
Neither would go on my plane, but I put the Frantz on my diesel generator.
Who knows if it works, the power hasn't gone out since.

Lou
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:53 am 

. I have no problem however with any one of several auto filters I've seen, including the ones I use. If they're good enough for $100,000+ race cars which do run high-pressure/ high volume oil pumps, they're good enough for me.[/quote]

My interest was just getting through the myth and speculation and finding some real data. Harder to do than I thought. If an AC filter would fit on an adaptor, on the T18 with out running a remote, I would run one

Profile Personal album  

mattst18
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:43 pm 

OK I am going to throw this in the discussion.

My Thorp has an oil filter addapter that has plenty of clearance around it. The problem is I do not know who makes it. I also do not have a picture handy. The only marking on the adapter I can find is 62.5 degrees. I assume this is the amount of angle from face to face.

The adapter screws on just like a normal straight filter would. Then because of the angle the filter hangs down and back. A 75-80 degree offset would probably be better then the filter would be almost straight up when changing. Basicaly it is just an extention with an angle built in. KIS.

Profile Personal album  

Bill Williams
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:51 pm 
Ford made remote adapters for the 352 windsor to clear the frame,might be one

Lou
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:57 pm 

mattst18 wrote:
OK I am going to throw this in the discussion.

My Thorp has an oil filter addapter that has plenty of clearance around it. The problem is I do not know who makes it. I also do not have a picture handy. The only marking on the adapter I can find is 62.5 degrees. I assume this is the amount of angle from face to face.

The adapter screws on just like a normal straight filter would. Then because of the angle the filter hangs down and back. A 75-80 degree offset would probably be better then the filter would be almost straight up when changing. Basicaly it is just an extention with an angle built in. KIS.

That

Profile Personal album  

mattst18
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:22 pm 

Yea I know, I will look through my pics tonight but I don't think I have a good one of the adapter. I am not planning on taking my cowl off for a while so the photo may have to wait. :(

It is just a round peice of metal with a "bend" in it. I am guessing that the inside "bend" is 2" and the outside is probably 5". Whatever would make a 62.5 degree bend in the middle and with a diamiter a little bit bigger than a standard AC filter. I use the Tempest because they are cheaper than the Champions.

The adapter has a gaskit just like the filter does. It just screws on to the engine using the same threads as the filter would, at least that is what I assume since I have never had the adapter off but it does turn some (1/4 turn) when I take the filter off. I can point it down more so I don't spill quite as much oil. A little more bend would be better. Or If I had the longer gear that may help also. I could jack the front up some. The odd thing is the first several oil changes I do not remember spilling any oil when I unscrewed the filter. Now it runs down the side as I unscrew it so it still makes a mess although not near as big a mess as a horizontal or upside down filter would.

Profile Personal album  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next