Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 10:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 17  Next
Pacer 20
 Post subject: Re: C-FPVE
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:46 pm 

Bonjour!
My bottom skin is done ;D ;D ;D

New dash panel. Old wood style is not for me.

Installed and some trimming are needed. I have to cut the extra material on the bottom and I want my pannel flat with no bend.

My metal drum is full!!! Somebody are interested for a Thorp in parts :o

Tonight I do my wish list for my instruments board. When I go to bed I put the list under my pillow! Maybe the EFIS Fairies or the DYNON Leprechaun comes during the night ;)

A+ les mecs!

C-FPVE #091

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:31 pm 

Looking good Billy Ray ! ;) Flat panel is good , but I would suggest a rounded bottom rather than the knife edge to keep you knee caps intact ! 8)
After my project was done I loaded up all the scrap and FUBAR parts and took them to the recycle yard and got enough for a night out on the town ! ???

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

Fraser MacPhee
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:47 am 

Really enjoying this thread Thierry - keep up the great posts.

"the EFIS Fairies or the DYNON Leprechaun"......???....Well, Boston is a lot closer to Montreal than is San Fransisco.

Serial #279-1
Angel Fire, NM (KAXX)

Profile Personal album  

Pacer 20
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:48 am 

Hi pilot.

I just put 3 hrs on my bird this week :( :( :(
Too much work at the airport. Always the same excuse!
So I put back the fuel tank just to check the adjustment...Bad fit and bad everything again.

The support stap do not respect the drawing. Another parts to do.

Fuel filler flange was to stress when I put the screw on the top.

Vertical support for the fuel selector handle.

I hope the next week-end I have more time to put on my T-18.
What is the best solution to fill the gap on my fuel tank?
-cuting large rubber and glue between the bulkhead and the tank.
-cuting soft wood parts and glue the rubber together.
-build a new tank.
-?????

Thanks again!

C-FPVE #091

Pacer 20
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:02 am 

9. Fuel Tank Support- Refer to T-18 Newsletter# 12. It was necessary to provide a stress carry-through from the -528 tank support to the dash frame. This was accomplished by making an angle bracket from .063 inch extrusion, or bent up from sheet stock and attaching to the dash with 2 1/8" rivets and to the 528-2 with 2 rivets. 528-4 was extended all the way to the dash. This is now shown in the current revision of the drawings.
There were some problems in applying the right brake when full right rudder was applied. Some builders have notched the fuel tank supports to clear the brake pedals. For this modification refer to T-18 Newsletter# 60.

Where is possible to see some pictures about the notche on the bulkhead or the new bracket design.
I take a look on the old news letters.

Thanks.

C-FPVE #091

stug
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:53 pm 

Re the fuel tank, the plans call for some packing material (cork or felt I think) between the tank and the supports, I can't see that in your photos. With the 3mm approx. of packing material it may help improve the fit I guess you could add a little extra packing as needed to improve the fit. My tank is similar to yours, it has flown for 500 +hours. I think that the main concern is can the tank is secured without placing undue stress on any one part or allowing any movement. A poor need may not be great but may not compromise safety. I suspect once the tank is in and filled it could settle into position somewhat so would need to be re checked for security at that stage I would have thought that you can probably get an adequate fit without making a new tank.

I have seen some photos and a simple drawing of the notched tank supports on the forum.
My understanding is that notching the tank supports is mostly of benefit for manoeuvring in tight situations, no benefit for landing or takeoff. Someone please correct me if I am wrong on this point!
I was planning to leave the supports per plans ( no notches) unless there is an additional landing safety benefit in favour of this modification.

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:08 pm 

Do I see fuel stains on the lower fuel bung with the AN fitting ? The fuel tank attach fitting on the cradle (the part rubbing) was a little too long on my AC . I shaved off a bit on the top of the fitting to help the tank to fit in . Even with that my tank did not fit quite right . A small rubber mallet making a small "dent" eased the tank in . With regard to the gap between the tank and the top of the fus. skin , I did not have that problem . In fact it was a tight fit . In your case I might make an aluminum doubler (donut) to fit between the tank and the skin and use a gasket between the tank and the donut and then screw the whole thing together ? :P

RB

Profile Personal album  

Pacer 20
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:16 am 

Hello!

After I put my flash light inside the tank to inspect the baffle I found the bulkhead in really bad condtion.

I decided to cut a large hole to removed the old part and install the new one. Welding is >:( :'( :o ??? :-X

I started to clean the mess by sanding carrefully the welding area.
Fuel tank before I cut the top. Too much PRC for me!

I think it's better to order a new fuel sender.

See you next time on my next episode 8)

C-FPVE #091

dickwolff
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 11:12 am 

OMG, Thierry... you got one of those Thorps that make the rest of them look bad. There are a lot of them out there. My problems are absolutely trivial compared to yours. Fortunately, each of our airplanes are reasonably well matched to our talents/tools/and abilities.

Soldier on! (I hope I don't sound too negative.)

D

PS - 1) the T18 tank in the plans looks nice. No PRC required.
2) If I were in your shoes, I would go with a capacitance probe.... you can linearize the fuel level.
3) If you are making a new tank, I strongly recommend you get a positive locking cap. Too many guys have burned when they might have walked away. BTW - love the idea of no fuel door. ie, bringing the fuel filler to the skin thus eliminating the scupper. A flush twist-lock cap would be a great addition.

Profile Personal album  

Victor J Thompson
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:49 am 

Thierry: I have been following your progress,... outstanding.

Looking at your pictures of the fuel tank support straps and as has been mentioned, it appears that you do not have any cork or felt material wear strips on these supports. I have supplied a couple of pictures from my galley to show straps with the wear strips.
Normally I would say that you need only have to install the strips which would raise your tank enough to relieve the stress you mentioned present on the fuel tank neck and outer skin when you installed the fastening screws.

However, when you talk about building a metal donut and a additional gasket to take up space above the fuel filler neck, you might want to check the tank dimensions and filler neck height. It appears that the tank has about 1/2 inch play in the support straps (straps not tight) and (the felt/ cork material will not fully correct this gap). When the fuel filler neck has to pulled up to the outer skin this creates additional stress to the tank and your fuel system. Looking at the tank condition, and with your metal working talent I am surprised you don't manufacture one.

Nice find on the corroded sending unit.

Hope the pictures help.
Cheers

Profile Personal album  

Pacer 20
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:36 pm 

Episode....
Slowly, slowly this week!
Very easy to removed the first fuel filter and I pretty shure this part is ''scrap"

All the inside welding area was cleaned and polish.

I starting to removed the PRC. With plastic spatula and a heat gun the job take about an hour.

Thinner and scotch pad the result is correct. Under that, the aluminium welding is acceptable. I have do this all week-end long :-\

After the big clean up I made the top patch. Maybe next Friday the tank is completed and ready to paint ;)

My fuel strap support is made with cigaret paper...Thickness is around 0.016 :o :o . I found the plan and when I see the starp specification again :o :o . New strap support was on the menu for Monday at my lunch time.

C-FPVE #091

dickwolff
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 10:41 am 

The volume of that tank probably won't be up to 29 USG. Might be a good idea to check and then decide whether or not to keep it.

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:58 pm 

Someone on the Forum made a larger main tank ? ??? Now that you have that tank out , I would consider making/putting in a new larger tank . Tankering fuel is NOT a bad idea ! >:D

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

Pacer 20
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:47 am 

Bonjour.

After some post reply I decide to made some calcul last week... I found my fuel tank volume on the journey log book. I think is it almost impossible to put this fuel quantity in this small tank.
Check this out!
The original plan. 29 gallons.

My log book.

Mathematic crash course 101.
1 gal.us = 3.78 liters.
29 gal.us = 109.77 liters. (t-18 plan)
34 gal.us = 130.50 liters. (my fuel tank)

What is the idea?
Thorp owners what do you think?
I lost my time with this tank and is better to build a new one. I have to put 130.5 liters of water inside to be sure the volume before I go to the next step!
In the journey log the plane fly 3.8 air time @ what power settings? 1700rpm....
:o :o :o

C-FPVE #091

Pacer 20
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:59 am 

Another 90 degrees turn on my work schedule. After my fuel tank indigestion I decide to finish my outer wings.
I restart the riveting and both wings is almost done.

Next step I strip the aileron paint and inspect the controls surface. I hope both ailerons was in good shape ??? ???

I start cutting and bending the dorsal and belly fin. I take my inspiration on older Warbirds to put more aerodynamism on the tail wheel!

Cheers!

C-FPVE #091

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 17  Next