Thorp Air Command - T18.net

Supporting Owners, Builders and Pilots of the Thorp T-18 and its variants.
It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2024 12:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:31 pm 

I have a canton remote oil filter on my plane with a tempest oil filter. I am leaking oil where the oil filter seals against the remote oil filter mount. I have assured there are no burs, etc, on the mount and I have tried several filters and it still leaks. The canton filter mount specifies the male threads are 3/4-16 and the tempest filter specifies its female threads are 3/4-16.

But, when I screw the filter onto the remote mount threads, the filter is able to wobble. That does not seem right to me. It seems the oil filter is slightly too large for the remote mount, but that doesn't make sense to me because they both specify their threads are the same. I plan to put calipers on them tomorrow, but does anyone have any thoughts about this? I believe this is the reason I am leaking oil around the oil filter seal.

Attachment:
File comment: Remote filter mount
ctr-22-625_w.jpg
ctr-22-625_w.jpg [ 11.42 KiB | Viewed 16156 times ]

Last edited by Ryan Allen on Mon May 27, 2013 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album  

bfinney
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:38 pm 

I would also check the filter gasket diameter vs the remote mount mating surface. Note, just because the spec says so doesn't make it true, I would also check the threads on the mount nipple. The part could have been put in the wrong box.

N18JF T-18C #262
Yelm, WA USA

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:35 pm 

Ryan: I use the same Canton adaptor and may have told you about mine ? I use the Tempest long filter with the 3/4-16 threads and have had ZERO problems with the unit . 130 hours and no leaks what so ever . I suspects the Canton remote you have may not have the 3/4-16 threads or the filter is not the correct threads . Take a piece of 3/4" iron pipe and thread it into the filter to check . You can also remove the pipe nipple in the Canton remote to check it for the correct threads . I am very happy with the Canton unit . ;) NO WOBBLE IS ALLOWED ! :P The filter should "screw" up snug into the remote just like a car filter then using a torque wrench finish the job . BOOM !

RB

Profile Personal album  

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:10 pm 

well, all the thread diameters and pitches matched, the seal diameter looks good and is smooth. I can get the proper torque on it. Maybe I have a leak from another area and it is leaking down onto the filter. I am now suspecting the unused ports (like in the picture above). Can I use some sort of thread tape or paste in the plug threads to help seal those plugged ports? I certainly don't want any thread tape bits coming off and getting into the oil.

Profile Personal album  

Fraser MacPhee
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:35 pm 

Ryan - I use a good teflon paste - rated WOG (water/oil/gas) and am just very careful to make sure it is not on the bottom thread - if I get a case of the shakes (while whistling bagpipe Madonna medleys for instance) and get some there, I wipe off and do over - no worries. So far so good in fuel and oil applications. A little dab 'l doo ya.

Serial #279-1
Angel Fire, NM (KAXX)

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:19 pm 

It very well could be one of the 4 ports . The "IN" and "OUT" for the lines or the 2 outlets for the plugs . This should be easy to see . I use Fuel Lube on all my fittings . A small tube will last you a lifetime ! I do not recommend Teflon tape or Permatex . It may be possible the oil is "running" down one of the hoses from the engine adapter or one of the AN hose fittings is leaking ? New hoses, old hoses ? All the spin oil filters I have used "wobble" a bit until they are tightened close to the base . If I remember correctly , the "nipple" on the adapter is a standard 3/4-16 galvanized pipe nipple . I originally had a Lycoming 90 degree adapter on the engine (did not fit with the engine mount) and I recall it had a 3/4-16 hardware store pipe nipple ?

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:21 pm 

I have brand new hoses made by TS Flightlines. I recommend them. http://tsflightlines.com/ I don't think they are leaking, but its something I need to double check.

Rich, you described the wobble perfectly. That makes me feel better. The fittings match and the seal is good. The more I talk about this, the more I am thinking its one of the plugged ports that is leaking. The nipple on the remote mount does have the 3/4-16 threads that matches the oil filter. I think I will try some lube/paste on the plugs and see what happens. Thanks for the help thus far. I'll report back.

Profile Personal album  

jrevens
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:30 pm 

"Hardware store" pipe nipples have tapered pipe threads. You should be using a straight machine thread with the filter itself. Some filter adapters may use a tapered thread to mate with the adapter, & the other end of the nipple will have a straight thread... you probably won't find a nipple like that in a hardware store.

T-18 N71JE (sold)
Kitfox 7 SS N27JE

james peran
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:52 pm 

The only reason that the filter wobbles is the male stud is too long or the thread bottoms out.
Check the lengh. You may have to shorten the stud somewhat. J.P

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:04 pm 

it was leaking around the plugs and dripping down onto the filter. All is well now with no leaks. Thanks all for the help

Profile Personal album  

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:41 pm 

Good to hear you found the problem . After my first 25 hours I went back in and "tightened" down all the AN hose fittings . I found one or 2 that needed the extra tightening . After the wrench tightening , I put a little dap of "witness paint" (torque seal) on each AN fitting for the oil lines and the fuel lines . ;) Makes it easy to spot any problems during pre-flight . 8)

RB O0

Profile Personal album  

Ryan Allen
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 5:50 am 

I chose to use a bottle of neon pink fingernail paint from walmart for the witness paint. My wife really thought she had me in a corner the first time she found that stuff sitting in the cup holder of my truck!

Profile Personal album  

mattst18
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:27 am 

LOL

Profile Personal album  

dan
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:04 am 

I used Burgundy Ryan, got it out of the wifes polish drawer in the bath room. Works well don't it, she did question me on it when she seen it sitting on the garage shelf......Dan

Rich Brazell
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:59 pm 

How did you explain the pink pumps and handbag ? :o

RB O0

Profile Personal album